Who thinks our service members pay/bennies should be cut too?

I am just curious as to how many in this forum think our service members pay/bennies should also be cut..or if you think (like myself) that it should never happen only if there was absolutely no other way..
So if most or all other things were cut back on do you think that our military members should also have to take a hit? Keeping in mind that some are on PA NOW as it is..

???????????????

tnmomofive

Asked by tnmomofive at 11:55 AM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• By the way for some they have recently taken a cut..some of my family members are military and have told me of the cuts.
    tnmomofive

Comment by tnmomofive (original poster) at 11:57 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• They don't get paid enough as is it. So no, I don't think they should have to. They put their lives on the line. Most of them are away from their family. So if it were up to me they would get a big fat raise.
    Anonymous

• Last thing that should be on the chopping block- right below (or above depending on how you look at it) education-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 12:03 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I don't think military should have their pay cut. They don't get paid enough for what they do as it is.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 12:03 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• As a military wife and before that s/o (20 years and counting)~ I think there are areas that can be cut. There is a lot of redundancy, waste in the military and that could be leaned out. Anyone below E-4 should NOT see a reduce in pay/benefits. I think (as prior enlisted and now officer)~ officers could handle a cut far better than enlisted... jmo
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:06 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Also, the problem is~ if they WERE to reduce pay/benefits there would be a mass exodus out of the military.... The military is force shaping now (kicking people out), if they were to cut the pay/benefits dramatically? Some of the Best would leave military service and switch to becoming a paid contractor/civil servant employee.... <--- They already make MORE than our service men and woman. Expand the wage margin?? Very bad idea...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:16 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I think it would be a bad idea. Some of our military members need a raise. No member should make so little they are eligible for Public Assistance...that is simply unconsciounable. I think they should be very careful if they cut wages for higher ranking enlisted an officers. There are many fields where members could make a LOT more money...you don't exactly want the bottom of the barrel for doctors, air traffic controllers and air craft maintenance people...this is just a quick glimpse.

We should also remember that almost anyone can join the military...making almost anyone eligible for the pay & benefits.

There are a lot of areas that could be cut in the military...pay/benefits shouldn't be on the table. How about if they start with simply not penalizing the budget controllers when they come in UNDER budget for the year. This alone would save millions.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:37 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Military people risk their lives so I can stay home with my kiddo.. Thank you service members for doing your job.. and Im sorry that it seems you are underpaid at times...
    our govt is getting out of hand with the CUTTING OF THINGS when we are STICKING OUR NOSES where they DO NOT belong.. lets pull out of egypt and iran iraq afganistan..those are NOT OUR COUNTRIES to stick OUR NOSES In.
    spitfire06

Answer by spitfire06 at 12:37 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I am a former navy wife. I know what it's like to live as a family off of everything from e-2 one year in to e-5 3 years in. The pay is if anything not enough. When you join the military you basically become gov property to be worked as they see fit. You have no rights that workers in the civilian world have. A civilian worker is entitled to overtime if they work over 40 hours. There is no overtime in the military. My ex was worked on average 80-100 hours a week. Every 4th day he was on a 24 hour shift where he was not allowed home. He would spend up to 6 months on deployment working around the clock 18 hour days 6 work day 6 sleep 6 duty repeat then have to adjust back to 24 hour days in port and the cycle continues. I doubt he made even close to minimum wage if you averaged it all out. I doubt anyone here could handle the hours and conditions. >>>>>>

kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 12:42 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I get it that he volunteered to join the military. But he signed up with the expectation that he would be compensated in a certain way that would allow him to provide for his family in a certain way. None of them deserve to have that taken away after all they've given.
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 12:43 PM on Feb. 28, 2011