christmas

So my husband and i had a disagreement he says i spent to much money on our 5 month old for christmas by then she will be six. I got her 7 outfits and 3 toys totaling around 400.00. he told me that there was no reason for me to spend that much on her. I told him to get over it she is my first child and ill do what i want our bills are paid so why worry. Was i wrong at spending this much or should i just not worry about it.

dewey_scoles

Asked by dewey_scoles at 3:26 PM on Nov. 20, 2008 in Relationships

• Well she really won;t remember this Christmas, but I do believe in giving children a great christmas no matter how much you spend trust 400 dollars is not that much it is exspensive to shop for a child at any age, Just remember as long as you are paying bills there is nothing wrong with buying your child something(you don't take your money with you when you die).
    Anonymous

• If you have the extra money to spend then go ahead. I'm sure she won't remember her first Christmas but you know you did something for her. I wouldn't worry about it!
    PinkRose282

Answer by PinkRose282 at 3:29 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• $400 in 7 outfits and 3 toys??
    Where do you shop?
    I guess if you can afford it great. But I can
    see where your husband would be a little pissed about it.
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 3:31 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• That does sound like a little much, but that's coming from a broke momma, lol. If you have it then why not? You got her toys along with things she needs. I don't see a problem.
    JDanesMommy

Answer by JDanesMommy at 3:33 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• For something she won't remember it seems a lot. I'd have suggested putting the majority of the money in a college fund.

Answer by Bmat at 3:34 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• That's more then I would spend. Being able to afford it is different then saying "all of your bills being paid" (for this month) No credit card debt? Solid emergency fund in savings? I am pretty frugal. I have two kids with a third on the way and will probably spend 400 total between the kids, myself and my husband. I can see where your husband is coming from. She won't remember this Christmas and why make it about spending a ton, anyway? (Just my opinion) I don't know if it was really "wrong" but I do think it was disrespectful to make a large purchase(s) without your husbands input.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 3:36 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I did the same thing when my son was first born. I got his pictures taken and bought everything. I spent close to $350 so I understand where you're coming from. As far as your husband, I can also see his point too. But like you said, if your bills are paid and everything else is taken care of, I think it's fine.

LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 3:36 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I feel its my money that i have saved up for the past 22 years just waiting to spend it on someone and our bills are all paid for for the rest of the year minus one but im not worried about a 26.11 heat bill. Its not like i didnt spend that kind of money on him with his playstation that he doesnt know about yet so i dont see the problem. I just went crazy first time mother i dont see an issue
    dewey_scoles

Answer by dewey_scoles at 3:41 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• yes, i do think you may have went overboard. only because clothing for a 7 month old is cheap and how all that could add up to $400 seems like alot. If you had spent $400 and got 20 outfits and LOTS of toys i wouldn't see a problem with it.
    JumpingHoops

Answer by JumpingHoops at 4:02 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• it could have probably be better spent putting it in a savings account for her college fund or a car when she turns 16 or her wedding but if you think wasting that much money on a six month old child who will never appreciate what you got for her in the first place at that age then ...it's your money. I'm sure she'll understand when she's older and wants something of value and you have to tell her sorry honey I spent it all on your first xmas. The way the economy is, I agree with your husband. It wasn't an economically wise choice to make but that's just my opinion. Her first xmas. Give me a break. Like she will remember it. Take her to the mall take a pic with santa and put it in a frame that says Baby's first xmas. At least she can keep that. $400.00 for 1st xmas. Unbelievable.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:20 PM on Nov. 20, 2008