Any other pregnant women out there taking prescribed pain medication?

I am six months pregnant and I have been taking pain medication, vicodin and percocet, throughout my pregnancy. This medication was prescribed by my OB and I verified with both my doctors and the pharmasist that this was safe to take during pregnancy. I only take a very minimal dose when needed for extreme pain, however, I still get very paranoid because I'm pregnant. I wondered if there are any other women in the same shoes as I am, or anyone who has taken pain medication throughout pregnancy and have had healthy babies. I have read that taking these medications may or may not be harmful. ?? This seems scary to me even if doctors have told me otherwise.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:01 PM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I was on percocet my first pregnancy from about 4 months on due to kidney stones and stents in my kidneys. I was also extremely nervous and tried to take the least amount I could just to make things bearable. I even had IV pain medicine several times when I was admitted to the hospital. I had to trust my doctors though as the pain was unbearable without the medicine and that is not a good thing while pregnant either. The one thing that my doctor did have me do was try to wean me off the pain medicine as I got closer to my due date to minimize the risk of the baby being born addicted. I was induced 10 days before my due date and my son was born without any complications from the pain medicine. He is now 3 .5 years old and is developmentally perfect (that was something I worried about). I hope this makes you feel better. I know I stressed about it ALOT, and thankfully it turned out ok. Good luck!
    happymama2D

Answer by happymama2D at 2:45 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I was also on Vicodin before i got pregnant. I was also 2 months pregnant when I found out. My HIGH risk Ob told me that Vicodin is VERY addictive to newborns and put me on Ultram (Tramadol). It works the exact same way , it just has no codiene in it. I hope ur Doctor is right. Best of luck to you!!!
    YouHaveNoClue

Answer by YouHaveNoClue at 4:04 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I took something when I was pregnant for headaches, started with an F..
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 4:58 PM on Mar. 8, 2011