Spelling Things In Initials

Do you think it is important to avoid spelling things with a child's initials? Or do you think it just depends on what you spell? Is it different for boys than for girls? (Examples: SAG, FAG, BAG, BAD, SAD, BUD, etc.)

fancyjane

Asked by fancyjane at 12:06 PM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Baby Names

• I might consider what the initials would be after picking a name, but I wouldn't obsess over it. My son was almost etc but changed my mind about his middle name. Kids pick on other kids for so many things, no reason to give them one more thing to use for ammunition, if you can avoid it.
    Tawneekitn

Answer by Tawneekitn at 6:49 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• It was the last thing on my mind when choosing my children's names. It just didn't seem like a making or breaking point for me.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 12:13 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• It's definitely good to be cautions about the bad words it might spell, lol! I made sure DD's initials didn't spell anything weird...but it worked out accidentally that her initials spell her aunt's nickname :)

It kind of annoys me when people spell things on purpose...my High School gym teacher chose her daughter's first & middle name to make her initials spell ACE, b/c that's what they wanted to call her....I just thought it was strange, lol!
    Neelah

Answer by Neelah at 12:02 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Children can be really cruel. We were very careful with names, initials and sounds when we named our children. So far, so good.
    ShaunnaMichelle

Answer by ShaunnaMichelle at 7:00 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• i never really thought about that at all. It is very obvious that I didn't think of it because my DD initials spell JEF and my DH's name is Jeff, was very funny when someone pointed that out to us.

cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 12:07 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• lol dh and i talked about that with our son he wanted to name him noah ronnie and our last name is day so he's be NRD lol nerd i didn't like the names he picked so we didn't name him that anyway
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 12:08 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I think it should be a consideration before you decide on a full name. Kids can be cruel and fixate on anything to make fun of! Incidentally, my initials before marriage were DD, and my male co-workers delighted in calling me Double D as it actually applied to me. They thought it was the height of intelligent humor!
    hrh.sassypants

Answer by hrh.sassypants at 12:08 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• My initials spell SAD, my brother always teased me growing up and now my son does too!! Just something for them to have a little fun with- didn't destroy my life or anything.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:14 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I think to a degree it does matter. Think about if FAG was your initials. Going into your teen years this could be a terrible torment. If they simply spell out SAD, etc then it's not a big deal but remember that kids can be cruel.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 12:39 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I didn't pay attention to what my daughter's initials spelled when naming her. It wasn't important to me, her initials have nothing to do with the person she is. And as far as worrying about people picking on her for what her initals are would be pointless because someone is going to find something to pick on her about despite what her name or initials spell. My daughter's initials are SAR, which is close to SARS.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 2:45 PM on Feb. 28, 2011