Twins staying in the same class.

My girls start kindergarten next year and we are registering for it today. I am hoping to keep them in the same class, but the principle has a policy of separating twins. I have written a letter explaining why I think they need to stay together. They are in preschool together right now in the school. I do not see why they would be kept together for preschool but separated for kindergarten. Preschool is 3 hours long. Kindergarten is a full 8 hour day. I think the amount of time at school is going to be a big enough change that they do not need to have separation added to it. The teacher they have now tells me how well they do and they are not attached at the hip. They play with the other kids they just need the security of seeing their sister is there. Anyone had any success in changing a principles mind on separating twins? How did you do it?

Alanaplus3

Asked by Alanaplus3 at 12:32 PM on Feb. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• I don't have an answer for you but I'll bump it in case someone else does.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:39 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• From all the parents that I know that have twins, it is best to separate them so they become a person on their own. So they make their own friends and don't get compared to each other. I worked in a preschool and we had parents that wanted their twins separated as much as possible. I have friends that are twins and they were happy to be separated and make their own friends and develop into the people they are today.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:43 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Ask for the DISTRICT'S WRITTEN POLICY !!! Last time that NOMOTC did research on multiples in school - no school district in the US had a written policy and without a written policy the principal has no leg to stand on.

Now ask yourself about your twin's behavior in the preschool classroom, can they play separately? Does one twin have a friend that the other does not? Do they HAVE to acknowledge each other at all times in the classroom?? If they cannot play separately, if they do not have separate friends, if they cannot be in the classroom without knowing the other is in the classroom - then they need to be separate and kindergarten is the best time to do so because it isn't as structured as 1st grade.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:19 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I wanted to add that we kept my boys together in kindergarten because they had separate friends, barely looked at each other in the classroom, played completely separately, etc. If it weren't for their sharing parents and birthdays, most people would never know that they were twins because they are fraternal AND never did any of the "twin" stuff.
    We kept them together in Kindergarten because we knew we'd be moving during the school year. 1st grade, they were separated.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:22 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I have identical twin girls and their school gave me a choice about keeping them together or placing them in separate classes. I choose to have them split up and it was a great thing for them. It helped them be their own person and have their own friends. They also tend to be very distracted by each other so I saw that being a problem. People also have a very hard time telling them apart and I didn't want that to be an issue. I do think it should be the parent's choice however, they know their children best.

Luuckymommy

Answer by Luuckymommy at 2:01 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• They do have separate friends and play separately during preschool. They just feel better knowing the other is there. They already have very different personalities. That is why I think it is best they stay together. They are not joined at the hip and they are very individual. They do still worry about each other though and like to know sissy is safe. I have talked to the preschool teacher and she is backing me on this so I am hopeful. And as for being worried that the teacher will be comparing them against each other all the time I really feel that they thought the preschool teacher was smart enough to know better. I would hope that the teachers for kindergarten would be just as smart.

Alanaplus3

Comment by Alanaplus3 (original poster) at 6:15 PM on Feb. 28, 2011