Ostara~Question for Pagans

Have any plans set already?
Have any recipes or simple rituals or work you'd like to share?

Blessed Be!

Amaranth361

Asked by Amaranth361 at 12:37 PM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Ostara is actually the religion we have the most traditions for. Every year we chose symbols of things we hope to manifest (like wealth etc.) decorate the egg with that symbol, and then hide the eggs. Everyone hunts the eggs and then we break them to release the spell. (Just a tip, dont cook the eggs, raw eggs have a better effect and are easier to crack.) We take turns throwing the eggs as hard as we can, its really quite fun!
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 9:16 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Decorate the altar with white and yellow flowers in honor of springtime romance. Two candles representing Lady and Lord, the young dancing god, also adorn the altar. A jar of honey is placed on the altar as it is a traditional food of this sabbat
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 2:48 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Ostara: circa March 21 (Spring Equinox) Ostara Is names for Eostre (Eastern Star, i.e. Venus), the saxon goddess of dawn and fertility. Ostara is identified with Ishtar, Astarte, and ashera, Aphrodite, Innana and Venus. Hours of day and night are equal. The Goddess fully regains her strength and envelops the earth with fertility. A time of balance, new beginnings, action, and planting opportunities for the future.
    Traditions/Activities: Coloring eggs, decorating with flowers, planting seeds, spring cleaning, birthing, egg hunts, hot cross buns (symbolizing the sun wheel). Rituals of equilibrium and balance.
    Color: Green
    Time of day: Sunrise
    Season: Spring
    Animals: Baby animals of all species, rabbits

Properties: Birth, growth, beginning of new ventures
    Incense/Herbs: Lavender, lily of the valley, lilac
    Altar decorations: Flowers, plants or seeds, eggs
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 2:46 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Ostara Egg Charm
    Make a growth charm out of a hard-boiled egg -- decorate it with symbols, write on it the quality you would like to manifest more fully within yourself, and energize it with the Witches Rune (in ritual) Eat the egg within 24 hours of the ritual!
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 2:47 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Here's an exerpt from what I just sent out to my Circle: 

Save your Egg Shells and Egg cartons! Save you plastic recyclables! Save your shiny found objects!

We're going to plant little Kitchen Gardens and/or Fairy Gardens. We'll be doing EggHeads planted with either herbs (for kitchen gardens) or flowers (for Fairy gardens) or both!

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 3:27 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Have not put any plans in motion for Ostara yet...
    I am going to be making plaster-of-pari eggs by using dried hallowed out
    egg shells... My 10 yr old and I are planning on painting them when they are
    completed...
    As for a meal... ritual... have not put anything into motion...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 11:37 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Email me at Arleta1@aol.com. I will send you some info.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 12:40 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I never have, but have always wanted to do something! My DH is not pagan, so I would probably be going solo.
    hrh.sassypants

Answer by hrh.sassypants at 12:47 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• We are actually spending it having our baby shower- it is going to be mainly held in our sun room (since it is a Solar Sabbat) but we plan to incorporate some festivities for the Sabbat too.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 12:56 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Thanks for the info.

I technically know about it and have celebrated it in the past but could always use some good recipes or ritual ideas(I like simple ones as does my hubby).

We just havent celebrated it in a couple years...the last year has been hard on our family and we are trying to get back into our spiritual lives and celebrating...kwim?
    Amaranth361

Comment by Amaranth361 (original poster) at 2:59 PM on Feb. 28, 2011