If your child was caught doing illegal activities, woud you help bail them out of jail?

Like dealing drugs, importing illegal goods, I am talking about serious crimes.

Age wise they are teens or early 20s

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 12:45 PM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Nope. If they get caught I would leave my child in jail. Do the crime, do the time.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:47 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I would bail them out ASAP.  Then I'd kick their ass.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 12:53 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• no. I've told my kids if they get arrested to not waste their 1 phone call and call me. I will not bail them out.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 12:48 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Nope, tough love. I will not be one of those moms who enable their childs bad behavior. Do the crime..you do the time!
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 12:51 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Of course I would! then help him through the legal process and hope for the best, if you can't count on your parents to bail you out who can you count on?

Answer by older at 12:55 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• nope, if they made the mistake to do a crime then they can pay the time if you bail them out then they wont learn from there own mistakes they will think if they get caught its ok cause mom will bail us out
    Mrs.Prine

Answer by Mrs.Prine at 12:57 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Yes.
    The reason being is that I have more ability to help them get out of it if I have free access to them. AND I get ti personally make their life a living hell of physical, back breaking slave labor!!! Punishment, anyone?
    They are statistically more likely to continue down that path if they are incarcerated for any period of time. When they are locked up, they are constantly bombarded with planning, information, and bitterness toward society by all of the other inmates, it in no way rehabilitates them, it only adds to the problem.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:09 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I am saying no now,  but my heart would soften too much for my own child and I would be there for him.

virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 12:46 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• If I thought he/she was guilty, they would stay in jail. Learn a lesson.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 12:49 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• If my child were guilty, then no I would not bail them out. I would visit them and let them know I love them still and would be there for them after the state deemed they had learned their lesson. As a former drug counselor, I can attest that in many cases, repeat offenders are the ones who never really had to learn the hard way and whose parent's always bailed them out of trouble.
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 12:53 PM on Feb. 28, 2011