I want to become a foster parent. Any advise?

I have wanted to become a foster parent for a while now. This morning I was reading the news and it said that in 2009 there were 36 children who died from child abuse in Colorado alone. That was up from 27 in 2007. I find that completely unacceptable that those children should have had to die that way. Then again I am not currently doing anything to help get them out of the situations. My husband and I both want to get into foster care. However were not sure if we will be approved. What exactly is it that they will be looking for. I currently live in a 3 bed apartment in one county but my lease is out in November and we plan on moving to another county for my daughter to go to school in 2012. My husband currently works while I stay home with our 3 children. I am also expecting our 4. I can go back to work when his new shifts start for 3 days a week. Were also both in school full time. I am studying to be a teacher and he is studying to be a computer forensic scientist. My daughter has her own room right now while my sons share. I am due in August and the baby will be with us in our room for at least 6 months. I dont know if I have to have a completely seperate room for a child. I know my mom didnt but that was a while ago. I also dont know if the fact that we plan on moving to a different county will matter.

Any information that you can give me or any advise would be greatly appreciated.

mrssmitley1210

Asked by mrssmitley1210 at 1:16 PM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Adoption

• mrssmitley, I am so humbled by your compassion, I wish I could have that very high quality instilled in me, but alas do not. I have always held couples in the highest esteem/regards whom have the ability to bring a child into their families, their homes, their hearts, if to only show them a small amount of Love:) I have always wished I could do this, but am way too "over-the-edge" emotional. I grew up abused until the age of 14., and my father offered me the chance to go into foster care, since I was the only one abused out of 10 children total, and alas I refused:( I thought about this for a short bit only, because I was/am a middle child my duties/responsibilites of taking care of the younger siblings, AND my love for my Mom even though she abused me, way outweighed the abuse:) I cannot give you advice since I am not able to be a foster parent, however, I will pray you find your way to a child who NEEDS parents:) CJ
    ceejay1

Answer by ceejay1 at 6:37 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• All states have their own rules. Since you are moving to a different county that might affect it. The best way to get started is to talk to the social services for your area. They will be able to help you get started. When I was doing foster care, which was several years ago, the children did not have to have their own rooms. They could share a room. I had two kids in one room, and another foster parent had 3 kids in one big room. Most states put limits on the number of kids you can have(it was 6 in Alaska-and that included your own), the ages of the kids, and lots of other things. It varies though. You have to go through training and get certified. It can be very hard but it is also very rewarding. Good luck.
    Tawneekitn

Answer by Tawneekitn at 6:40 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I would call social services. They can help you get started. Good luck
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 4:03 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• definatly call social services :D i was in a foster home for awhile and she had about 6 kids in there includeing me and the boys were sharing a room me and the other girl had our own room since i wasn't going to be there for very long
    dory_girl88

Answer by dory_girl88 at 3:12 PM on Mar. 3, 2011