How do you get a 13 month to fall asleep on her own?

how can i get my 13month old to fall asleep on her own? We still rock her at night with a bottle same thing for naps. I have tried a couple times the cry it out method but it didnt work. But now that i have a new baby on the way due sept. i really want to get her to go to sleep on her own.

tomsjennabean

Asked by tomsjennabean at 1:19 PM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just leave her in the crib and let her cry. Keep some tissues on hand for yourself, 'cause it hurts like heck to have them crying like that :( If she doesn't stop crying after ten minutes, go in, hug her, kiss her, tell her you love her, then leave and do the same thing. Next time wait 15 minutes for her to stop, then 20, then 25 until she stops or you just can't take it. Do this every night, every nap time, and stick it out. Good luck ,honey. It did work with my little guy.
    alphamom26

Answer by alphamom26 at 1:22 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• You have to stop rocking her. My son is 11 months and I use to rock him to sleep for night and naps as well. I started to slowly stop this. I would sit in the rocking chair with him and rock a little then the next day I would slow down the rocking until I was just sitting in the chair without any movements. Its hard but it does work. Another thing that I found that helps is to stop the feeding in her room. Feed only in the high chair.

I can now lay my son down when he is tired and he falls asleep on his own. We have a Sleep sheep that I turn on to the sounds of waves and this helps him calm down. I also used the cry out method with him as well as my daughter who is now 5. It works but it doesn't happen over night. Good luck!
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 1:24 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• wow u sound just like i did i did thae same till my son was 14 but a got so big when i carried my lil girl it hurt to keep doin it. i did just wat u said the cry it out method an it took a few wks i started out just few min the went n an rocked him til i was up to 15 of cryin the he would go to sleep within a few wks he would just go to sleep make it the same time everyday....i knw it will just break ur heart first few time but ull just have to get over it lol an the best thing is dnt make the same mistake twice my lil girl i didnt rock an she does nao an bed time great now dnt get me wrong ill hold her an read to her at bed time but that more for me then her lol an when she sick or ear infection i mite rock her just dnt make it a habbit ull c the diff n ur kids my lil boy is such a mama boy an lil girl is so much more independed
    kelleyplus2

Answer by kelleyplus2 at 2:06 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• thanks ladies i did do the cry it out method with my 1st one (now 4) at about 6 months but for some reasone i cant bring myself to do it with this one and i do regret it. only cause i have no time for me and my 4 yr old cause at nap im rocking her then try to lay her down but she wakes up so i usually end up rocking her till nap time is over. Not to mention no time for the house (only weekends when DH is home) its just so hard listening to her cry but i guess i will HAVE to be strong i think i will start this weekend since shes a little sick right now. :(
    tomsjennabean

Comment by tomsjennabean (original poster) at 2:13 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• It is so hard to hear them cry it out, I dont envy you.

Kids are so different but the key with my second was really establishing a tight routine and not varying it even a little, even when there was a weekend or a party where we'd be more inclined to let her stay up. She knows that when the books come out with the sippy cup, that bedtime is coming. By the time we carry her up, she is ready to go.

GOOD LUCK and hope your child feels better, I wouldnt try anything when he/she is sick
    2ndtimewish

Answer by 2ndtimewish at 9:14 PM on Feb. 28, 2011