If you used a crib for your child, when do you think is "too old" for them to be in it?

I just saw someone mention that their 3 year old was still in a crib...and that made me wonder what most people do or how old is "too old"?

My DS did use a crib after 8 months old for most of his sleep time, but he was able to climb too well at age 2 so we converted to the toddler bed. Now at age 3, he can open the gate on his room by himself, so we're pretty much "free range" entirely.

What did/do YOU do?
How old is "too old" for a crib?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:26 PM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Too old is when they can climb out. We put ours in the queen bed he has to this day, just before age three.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:27 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Yes, too old is when they climb out. My boys climbed out by age 2. My dd is 21/2 and still in her crib and not climbing out yet. She will be getting her big girl bed by her Birthday.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 1:34 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• We took my daughter out of her crib at close to 3...we never had any issues with her climbing out but we just figured if she was old enough to use the potty she was old enough to get a "big girls bed" lol
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 1:49 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• When they can climb out on their own.
    choco_mom

Answer by choco_mom at 2:15 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• When my son was one his crib was recalled. Instead of buying a new one we put him in a twin bed with the side rails. It was great and he's been in one since.
    jdzamko

Answer by jdzamko at 2:55 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• See, my son was done learning potty at 2 1/2 and we had already taken the side off the crib and made it a toddler bed, but he would get up some nights to go potty...and I would hate the idea of him being trapped in a crib like that. I think the potty connection should be a factor too...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:51 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• 15 months to 24 months you can take them out and move them to a toddler bed.
    whoreallycares

Answer by whoreallycares at 5:59 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• When they start climbing out. They are ready for a bed.

HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 6:22 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• We have been blessed with our little boy. He stayed in his crib until he was almost 3. I just kept him in it...He never climbed out or even tried. We moved him into a toddler bed 2 months before his 3rd bday....Then, about 31/2 we moved him to a full size bed....We are still lucky because he doesn't get out of bed at all!!!! Hopefully, our daughter will be the same.
    BWIND

Answer by BWIND at 12:27 AM on Mar. 2, 2011