Nursing Bras

Okay...so I needed some larger bras...and since I am due May 18 I just went ahead and went with nursing bras. My question is....do you put "nursing pads" in the bras once the baby is born and your milk is "developing"?

I got some samples in the mail and was wondering if they then go into the bra like a maxi pad? Can you tell I am new to all of this?

BlandBaby

Asked by BlandBaby at 1:28 PM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you don't want leakage then put the pads in. Are you leaking? If you want to put the pads on just to be on the safe side then go ahead. I didn't use my until a couple of days after my dd was born.
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 1:41 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Yes, they go over your nipples, inside the bra. Unless you are leaking there is no reason to use them.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:42 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• You only need nursing pads if you find yourself leaking milk. They make disposable ones or cotton reusable ones. You won't need them until your milk comes in generally (which is about 3+ days after your baby is born as the initial milk (colostrum) rarely leaks out.) I only needed to use nursing pads during the first month if I was away from my lo for more than an hour or overnight (she was an awesome sleeper almost right away, after 2 hours I would start soaking my bra.) I would highly recommend getting some nursing tanks too (you can find em' at Target.) They're very comfy and I feel offer more discretion if your nursing in public (you don't have to expose your tummy.) But don't buy too many bras just yet, because you really don't know what size you'll need until your milk comes in.
    Congratulations...the next 2 months may seem to go really slowly, but by the time your baby arrives those weeks will seem like a blur.

ummjen

Answer by ummjen at 1:44 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I'm 22 weeks and have been leaking since about 17, so I've had nursing pads for about a month now. I was the same way with my last pregnancy. If you start leaking then the pads are necessary like previously mentioned, but don't freak if you find yourself leaking before baby comes, it's actually very common and completely normal.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 3:09 PM on Feb. 28, 2011