I am at my wits end with her attidude! How do you handle it?

My daughter is 5 who acts like she is 15! I seriously can't handle it anymore.

She talks back to me, rolls her eyes, stomps her feet, yells at me, doesn't listen. Someone please tell me how to get this under control?

She use to be the perfect child until her brother was born a year ago. I know she is jealous and needs attention ALL the time but I can't handle the way she acts.

She gets one on one attention. She is in preschool 3x a week and her teacher says she is an angel!

mommytobrooke

Asked by mommytobrooke at 1:28 PM on Feb. 28, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• She is testing you. Just stay consistent with her and well she will grow out of it.

Answer by gemgem at 1:30 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• remind her who the boss is... give her some attention and see if that help her tude but don't let her talk back or have her attitude with you.what do you do for discipline? do you do timeouts spank or what?

Mrs.Prine

Answer by Mrs.Prine at 1:33 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Wait, are you talking about MY daughter?? LOL! AHHHHHHHHHH! I soooooooo get what you are going through!

I find myslef thinking, "It's payback time for mama . . " Payback for what, I don't know, but at least it changes my train of thought when I am completely dumbfounded that a teenager had shapeshifted into my four year old daughter!

How do you deal with it?
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 1:33 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Time outs in the corner don't work
    Taking away toys- doesn't seem to bother her
    Currently- sending her to her room ( where she currently is!)

Spanking? Once in awhile but that doesn't solve anything.
    mommytobrooke

Comment by mommytobrooke (original poster) at 1:36 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I agree she is testing you and you have to stand your ground. If she is yelling or talking back I would just send her to her room. Don't give in the emotions and just tell her "When you are ready to stop yelling and talk you can come out." I would check on her after a few minutes and ask her if she is ready to talk. I know one thing that worked in our house was the marble jar. We got a class jar and the kids got to pick out whatever colored marbles they wanted. When they did something nice or one of their choirs they got to put a marble in the jar. If she yells, or rolls her eyes she has to take one out. After "X" amount of marbles she gets a special treat like "Mommy and me time" or her favorite dinner.

Good Luck!

cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 1:36 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I LOVE the marble jar idea, cornflake!!! That is awesome! I think we are going to try that over here.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 3:06 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• You need to figure out what consequence does work. If sitting in her room does not help, maybe sitting in a chair facing the corner, or taking away tv, video games, telephone, playing at a friends house, etc... There has to be something that will work.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 3:55 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• She is seeing how far she can push you.

HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 9:16 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Put her in the corner. Kids HATE it, but there is no hitting involved and they get the point after aboit 5 min.
    TwilightMack

Answer by TwilightMack at 11:10 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• If the corner doesn't work, ignore her. After a while she'll get tired of trying.....
    TwilightMack

Answer by TwilightMack at 11:11 AM on Mar. 1, 2011