Pineapple for eating poop?

Somebody suggested putting pineapple in my pup's food to get him to stop eating his poop. We've tried everything else.
So, does anyone know how much pineapple to add to his food? And is it once a day or with both meals?

Thanks all!!

tracy0812

Asked by tracy0812 at 1:33 PM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Pets

• I would ask a vet about that. I have been raising pups and kittens and have never heard of that.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 1:35 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• you could also put coins or rocks in a tin can and shake it everytime he tries to eat poop. i did this with my dog who obsessively ate goose poop on our walks
    juliness

Answer by juliness at 1:36 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• It is ineffective, and will give him the runs. Best way to stop this behavior is to keep the feces picked up, use dominant behavior to keep him away from it, and reward him with banana pieces in lieu of feces for his "reward" for good behavior. It is more of a human training problem, than a dog one.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:36 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I don't know anyone who has tried this with success, but there is always a first. There are all sorts of things that you can add to the food, a teaspoon for a small dog is enough. For a big dog, a tablespoon added to the dinner. Most often these remedies are not very effective. As an alternative, you can put a little hot sauce right on the poop that is left on the ground as a deterrent. And, I am sure you are aware that you need to have your dog on a quality diet, since diet can play a role in this too.

It is a common behavior that many dogs have, it is called copraphagia.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 12:41 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• When dogs eat feces, it's because of a deficiency. There's some kind of vitamin or mineral they're not get enough of from their food that leads them to eat feces or lick rocks, etc. I would talk to the vet about a doggie multivitamin or doing blood tests to find out what is missing and finding a supplement food to give him that will fill in that gap.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 2:09 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Something may be missing in the diet. Try switching to a high quality food. www.dogfoodadvisor.com
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 2:39 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• He is on Blue Buffalo, and we had blood work done. No deficiency. I'm beginning to think he's just a little stinker, lol!
    tracy0812

Comment by tracy0812 (original poster) at 5:33 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Hmm, Blue Buffalo is a good, healthy brand. I guess the poop-eating is just a bad habbit that will have to be broken. The only surefire way I know of to stop it is just to clean it up as soon as your dog goes. They also make something called Forbid that is supposed to make the poop taste bad (although I can't imagine that poop tastes GOOD to begin with lol).
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 1:43 PM on Mar. 3, 2011