Can you give Honey Nut Cherrios to a 11 month old?

I never really thought of it being a problem...I know your not suppose to give honey or nuts under the age of 1 but its a cereal?

mommytobrooke

Asked by mommytobrooke at 1:37 PM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I did and my dd was fine. I didnt realize at the time my dad had given her hney nut cheerios and she was fine. I wouldnt go crazy feeding them alot of them but it shouldnt hurt.
    melliesmom1207

Answer by melliesmom1207 at 1:40 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Yes. It has been processed.

Honey that has been pasteurized (which most on the market has been, unless labeled raw) has had the bacteria which causes botulism (sp?) killed. That is the only concern. Cereal is fine. I would be more concerned about giving something with empty sugar calories to an infant.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:40 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I had the same question. I asked my sil, who is an older, more experienced mom than me. Here she had asked her doctor. The answer - Yes, because the honey has been baked on them, it isn't raw honey.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 1:41 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• well they say you shouldnt give honey to kids tell there 2 but idk if its in cereal
    Mrs.Prine

Answer by Mrs.Prine at 1:41 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Just give your baby regular cheerios. Problem solved.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 1:42 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I'm sure it's fine.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 1:46 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Ive given it to my children and that age.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 1:47 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• My daughter ate some of her cousin's when she was around that age. After that, since she didn't have a reaction, I stopped worrying about nuts. As for the small amount of cooked honey, in something highly processed like cheerios, I wouldn't worry about that.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 1:54 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Both of my girls loved them when they were that age. As a matter of fact my 9 month old has loved them since she was about 6 months old...
    brighteyesbryar

Answer by brighteyesbryar at 2:07 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• The other thing to watch out for is an allergic reaction, my son is allergic to both honey and nuts. We found out through a scratch test, but had I given him honeynut cheerios it probably wouldn't have gone well. Try a few, if s/he doesn't react you're fine. Or stick with regular cheerios if you're concerned.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 3:06 PM on Feb. 28, 2011