I thought state finances in Texas were in good shape?

Why is WFAA reporting that Dallas schools are offering teacher contract buyouts in advance of expected state budget cuts?

http://www.wfaa.com/news/education/More-Dallas-ISD-teachers-going-for-retirement-buyout-117069033.html

Asked by gdiamante at 1:40 PM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Private sector, yes. Public sector not so much. Friend of mine works for the state park system and has been in limbo for a year. His last job was eliminated already, and the one he managed to grab to replace it may be on the block before the next budget is done.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:44 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Hays County, Eanes County & Austin (TX school districts) have also announced cuts. Hundreds of teachers will not be returning to their class rooms this next fall. The city of Austin is actually closing several schools. You can thank Gov. Perry for this. He tells you what he wants you to believe. Not the truth. He did what he had to do to get re-elected & then lowered the hammer.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 1:46 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• When schools districts and public offices are the BIGGEST employers in some counties~ What do you expect? Public employees exceed Private sector employees and job growth...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:46 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• @not panicking - YES - public sector! Several teachers @ our high school which is public, have already been told they won't be coming back. Sadly, this has trickled into the class rooms. My boys came home this weekend saying how the teachers were discussing it in class with the kids & some of it wasn't so nice. ALL the districts and schools mentioned in my previous response are talking about PUBLIC sector.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 1:48 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• My boys came home this weekend saying how the teachers were discussing it in class with the kids & some of it wasn't so nice.

Last I checked~Teachers aren't paid to talk about their job security in the classroom... They are paid to TEACH the core curriculum to students..

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:50 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Love it when the Republicans can't handle the truth and feel the need to vote the truth down. LMAO!!
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 1:51 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• @grlygrlz2 - Exactly what we think, as well. Better believe I was on the phone 1st thing this morning with the principal. I've been "told" it will be "seen to". My kids will let me know whether it continues or not. LOL.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 1:53 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• "When schools districts and public offices are the BIGGEST employers in some counties~ What do you expect? Public employees exceed Private sector employees and job growth... "

Again... I thought the state budget in Texas was healthy. Healthy generally implies "cuts not needed." Admittedly I don't live there and haven't been following news from Texas. I just thought the buyout story was interesting and a bit surprising.

Comment by gdiamante (original poster) at 1:57 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Low state income taxes (bottom 10)
    Large, border state
    Large population

Whoda thunk it!
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:57 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• a large part of the problem is inflation.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 1:58 PM on Feb. 28, 2011