How is the best way to wing my child off breatfeeding?

I have a 5 mth old girl she seems to only really demands the boob at night during the day she will take a bottle, and at breakfast a little baby oatmeal or rice, (about 4 tbs. ).I still breastfeed but want to wing her off soon. I know the first year you should breastfeed but i'm not sure I want to go a year. If there is any good way to help me wing her off I'm all years. I have asked my docters but i want the opinion of mothers that have done this personnaly. Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:41 PM on Nov. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Do it before she reaches age 8!!
    Anonymous

• If she is already taking a bottle during the day, you are half way there!! Feeding before bed is probably more comfort than anything at this point...its her snuggle time with mommy.

Try giving her breastmilk in a bottle in the evenings, and hold her extra close while you are doing it. When you are ready to stop feeding completely, continue snuggling close during bed time feedings, but just give formula instead. She may cry a little for a few days, but she'll be alright and so will you!

Good Luck!
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:59 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• See me personally am feeding my daughter at least the first year. Yea I know it's kind of a pain once in a while, but it's worth it. It's the best thing you can do for your child! If you don't want to feed her from your breast, pump it, and give it to him in a bottle. I'm a strong believer in no formula... that stuff is nasty. Every mother has to give up things for there child, and being able to feed you child the best. You have already done it this long you can do it a full year!
    Anonymous

• Don't WEAN her. Breast is best. And the WHO recommends breastfeeding until at LEAST 2 years old. She's too young to wean anyway. Also, let me suggest this to you. Taste some formula. Now tell me, would YOU drink that? Why on EARTH would you feed it to your child?
    Anonymous

• Why does everyone always answer anon? If you're strong in your convictions, put your name to it.
    sgr123

Answer by sgr123 at 8:55 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I never bothered to wing my kids. However, they both weaned themselves between 12 and 15 months.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:16 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• FREAKING CRACKING UP AT MANCOSMOMMA'S ANSWER! Thank you for posting what I'd been thinking the whole time. Winging your children is wrong and can be dangerous ... weaning on the other hand .........
    Anonymous

I completely agree with this. I've tasted formula, it's disgusting! I've also tasted breast milk, and it's sweet and not bad.

Moomie

Answer by Moomie at 11:58 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• OP are you a bird?
    jspy72

Answer by jspy72 at 7:49 AM on Nov. 21, 2008