How do I make sure my abusive employer gets my message?

I used to nanny for a couple of kids, but, without getting into details, the dad got violent over something pretty insignificant and pushed my 2 year old daughter over after yelling at her (and his kids). I was afraid for our safety and have decided never to go back to that place. I am too chicken to call the family and tell them because of how angry he was, so I wrote him an e-mail Saturday night telling him I was quitting and why. He called me last night (I didn't answer the phone) and left a message saying that one of his kids was sick and he was taking today off work to stay home. So he obviously still hadn't gotten my message. Usually I would be there on Wednesday... how do I make sure he gets the message so he can find someone else? Should I just not say anything and not answer my phone that morning or should I leave "Check your email" on the outgoing message or what?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:02 PM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Relationships

• I would have called back and simply explained it....but if he had pushed my child down his ass would be in jail, in the first place. Why didn't you call the police or press charges or at the very least walk out right then and there screaming "I QUIT"????????? Stick up for yourself and your child
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:04 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• And yeah, no one is going to push my 2 yr old dd and get away with it!
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 2:06 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Why not call him and tell him your self? What's he going to do over the phone that's going to scare you? That way you can quit and tell him why. Don't let him intimidate you. If you really don't want to talk to him then yeah reply with "check your email".
    mamaada

• He was trying to get through a door that she was standing in... it wasn't like malicious... it was made violent by the fact that he didn't apologize and the level of anger he expressed. There are no marks, I couldn't press charges. We left as soon as we could after that and I made sure I got my last check before I sent the e-mail.

I'm just a wuss and don't want to talk to him on the phone. I hate confrontation. HATE it.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:10 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• He'll check his messages eventually.
    tastymama

Answer by tastymama at 2:24 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• id just call an say sry i quick inless he is a total dummy he knws y u quit
    kelleyplus2

Answer by kelleyplus2 at 2:26 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• You should call the police and file a report so they look into the treatment of his own kids. The child could be 'sick' cause it was abused.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 10:45 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I would have called the police if ANYONE put their hands on my kid, let alone pushed them down. You need to CALL and tell the family what is going on.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:48 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• It does not matter if he left a mark or not. Abuse is abuse. He could be arrested for assaulting a child! I would call him back and explain that you will no longer be working for him and that he needs to make other arrangements. If he throws a fit, tell him that he is lucky you are not pressing charges for assaulting YOUR child, and that you would be well within your rights to call CPS on him. If he treats OTHER PEOPLES children like crap, how well does he treat his own kids.

I would also file a police report. That way, if he refuses to pay you for the time you HAVE worked, you have legal proof as to why you quit on short notice and can pursue payment legally.
    Kristin_Allen

Answer by Kristin_Allen at 7:42 PM on Mar. 5, 2011