Was your kid made fun of?

Has your teen ever gone to after school help with Math or another subject? Was he or she made fun of or ostrasized for getting the extra help? There are very few that go so I wonder if that is why and parents just get home tutors?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:07 PM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Sometimes my 5 year old son comes home really upset sometimes saying that his classmates make fun of him. I hate it and it breaks my heart but other times I'll get a call about him being very mouthy to other kids so I know he can speak up and defend himself but it still hurts to see him getting picked on.
    MelissaAnn224

Answer by MelissaAnn224 at 2:12 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I have kids who not only had to accept after school help, they were/are also in special ed classes. My oldest son is now 20. He never got made fun of for it. He was in specials for most of his core classes & regular ed for electives & PE. He had many friends outside & inside the classes. My 14 yr old daughter is in pull out math & has never had a problem with others making fun of her about it. In fact, the day they put her in it she came home & told me she was surprised to see two people she knew from other regular ed classes that she had no idea would be having troubles like she was.
    Anonymous

• She expected to be made fun of, and was surprised that she is not. The school has an awesome peer tutoring program.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:25 PM on Feb. 28, 2011