License question

can I renew my license in the state I previously lived in? We moved and aren't sure how long we're going to be here (money issues, when we were promised there wouldn't be any), and to get a license here I have to take the written and driving exam. I mean if I give the address where my mom resides (bc that's where we'd be living) is the state going to know?...we have no one here to watch my dd so I can do the tests here..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:08 PM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Home & Garden

• It should be okay. The other state won't find out unless you say that you have moved and give your new address.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 2:12 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Check the DMV of your current state of residence. They may have a time limit for how long you can drive there on an out of state license.

Here are the California rules:

"If you are a visitor in California over 18 and have a valid driver license from your home state or country, you may drive in this state without getting a California driver license as long as your home state license remains valid.

If you become a California resident, you must get a California driver license within 10 days. Residency is established by voting in a California election, paying resident tuition, filing for a homeowner’s property tax exemption, or any other privilege or benefit not ordinarily extended to nonresidents. "

Answer by gdiamante at 2:14 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• There is usually a time limit. It would be on the state website and unless you are AD military, it is illegal to not change your residency over to the new state after the state's time limit.
    Milaya2

Answer by Milaya2 at 2:14 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• How long might you stay there?? If it is over 90 days, it is far better to get a DL in the state where you are living than it is to renew with your mother's address unless you are military.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:45 PM on Feb. 28, 2011