Homework... How much is too much?

I have a child in 4th grade. He's already hating going to school. After waking early and spending 7 hours at school... most days a "silent" lunch and only ONE recess aa day... then only having 5 hours before bed... how much homework is too much? I don't think it should be more than an hour each night. Am I wrong here??

SCMomKatie

Asked by SCMomKatie at 2:12 PM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• My 5th grader never has homework. Supposedly she does it at school when they have free time (so she says). Last year (at a different school) she had about 30-40 minutes depending on how much math she got (she hates math).
    My son is in 3rd grade and gets a packet every Monday and has until the next Monday to finish it. It's just like 3 worksheets and a reading log. He works on it like 20 minutes after school each day and then finishes it on Sunday. they get home at 4pm so anything more seems like too much to me. We have dinner at 5pm and then at 7pm they do their reading at get ready for bed (which is at 8pm) so really they have like 2 hours to play between dinner and reading time and I prefer them to actually play and not be doing homework.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:35 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Each school is different in how much homework they give a child my 3rd grader gets about an hour of homework a night which isn't bad compared to some that I have heard
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 6:50 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I never understood home work. They should be learning it at school. They are there long enough. It would be like bring your work home and some people do. lol

HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 10:07 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• My son has 5 pages (front and back) a week. He also has a workbook I got for him to do for math because he isn't doing it correctly at school. 5 hours is plenty of time to get what he wants to do done. An hour for home work, 2 hours to play outside, 30 min for dinner, an hour for TV watching and 30 minutes for getting ready for bed.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:17 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• My kids got about 20-30 min every other day
    Jackmother239

Answer by Jackmother239 at 10:26 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• each school and teacher is different my son has homework every night most of the time but some weeks all he has is his spelling and reading
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 11:28 AM on May. 16, 2011