My son has a "tail" should I be worried? Is it painful to him?

My 2 yr old son ahs a taiil. what I meean by that is his tailbone is longer than normal. It sticks out a little bit and also he has a little dimple type whole at the tip of his crack. I always figured as he grew taller maybe he woul grow into the tailbone, but it hasnt changed. I have noticed that when he falls on his bottom he reeacts like if the bone has made the pain worse. Or after he uses the reestrrom he doesnt want me to wipe him and I wonder if maybe it hurts the bone when I wipe him. I asked the doc about it when he was first bone and he didnt say anything about it. I am just wondering is it somethinng I shoulld worry about or have checked?

MissCasey

Asked by MissCasey at 2:14 PM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Have it checked and i believe he is old enough to tell u if it hurts when u ask

good luck
    cnoble927

Answer by cnoble927 at 2:15 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Yea I would get a second opinion
    MelissaAnn224

Answer by MelissaAnn224 at 2:16 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• You should have your doc refer you to a specialist. I had a freind with a small tail, and it didn't bother her much, but she did have to be careful about falling a certain way. the tailbone CAN break, too, even in a normal person, so if he is having pain, it must be checked out.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 2:17 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I agree I'd have it checked out. Sometimes if it protrudes too much or causes pain they do surgery, other times it's left alone. But it needs to be looked at by a specialist.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 2:28 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• if hes actin like that i would get it checked. now im wondern bout this doc where hes not talkin to u bout it. my kids doc goes over everything even the smallest thing which i luv u can never b to safe when it comes to the luvs of ur life
    kelleyplus2

Answer by kelleyplus2 at 3:16 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Go to a doctor. Poor little guy!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 3:21 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Seriously? ASK him if it hurts and take him to the doctor.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:17 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Usually sacral dimples are harmless & don't require any treatment, but sometimes a sacral dimple may indicate a serious underlying abnormality of the spine or spinal cord, therefore you should speak to your child's doctor about it further or seek out a second opinion, especially with the extra tailbone you've noted. Since your son has always had the issues with his tailbone, he may not know that it isn't normal for it to hurt when you fall on it, so you'll need to talk to him about that. Ask him if it hurts when he falls on his tailbone &bexplain to him that you need to know when it does, because it shouldn't hurt.

mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 6:31 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• someone i knew had a tailbone that stuck out and it bothered him alot more now then when he was younger. sitting on it wrong or on something to hard hurt it alot to or sometimes sitting for to long. he has marphans syndrom and one of the symptoms is protruding bones. and from what ive looked up about marphans syndrom its the chest bone that usually sticks in or out but as he grows it could never hurt to check and keep a watch on your son because it it can be very serious. but even if they have nothing to do with each other still have the tailbone checked out and be careful when hes rough on it because it causes my friend pain and it seems to have gotten worse since ive me him. i hope it wont cause your son to much pain.
    all25575

Answer by all25575 at 2:47 PM on Jul. 25, 2011