breastfeeding.....

my son was 5lbs 2oz when he was born and 4lbs 13oz when he came home.. he is 2 wks old and weighs 6lbs 4oz and i am breastfeeding and his dr wants me to supplement with formula and everyone tells me that he dont need it that he is gainin weight good... should i take him to a new dr?

amandag115

Asked by amandag115 at 3:45 PM on Nov. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I am not a doctor, so I can't tell you if his weight gain is sufficient or not. I will say that I question a doctor who encourages formula feeding over breastfeeding (since that is clearly something you want to do). I would get a second opinion from another pediatrician.
    LaurLaur623

Answer by LaurLaur623 at 3:57 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• My doctor also recommended formula, put it was in addition to the breastfeeding and once she caught up in weight, he wanted me back on just the breast. Is that the same position your doctor has .. he's just trying to add a few oz while still keeping the breastmilk?

Average weight gain is an oz a day after 10 days (when they should reach their birth weight). My dd was small, so the doc wanted her to weight as much as she would have at her age IF she was a *full time* baby. That in itself kinda pissed me off, but when she got sick and lost weight again, I understood why he wanted the extra weight on her.
    Anonymous

• Without knowing more details it is hard to tell, but I can tell you that the first option should be to supplement with your own breast milk. It sounds like he is gaining weight just fine by breastfeeding alone. Make sure he is nursing 8-12 times in 24 hours, and if he is gaining 4-7 ounces a week then he is right on track.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:06 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• IN two weeks your baby has gained 1.5 pounds. That is great weight gain, why is the doctor concerned? The doc should be looking based on the baby's lowest weight, not birth weight. It's perfectly normal for breastfed babies to lose up to %10 of their weight in the first week or so of life. Based on the baby's size, it seems like things are going very well.

\That said, I'd find a doctor that is more knowledgeable on breastfeeding. This one seems to be lacking in that area unless there is some information left out here.

Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 8:04 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• usually they want the baby to be back to the birth weight by 2 weeks, so he is doing fine. But I don't think you need to find a new doctor... they just have concerns about the weight, but it doesn't mean they are wrong. Maybe just ask for more frequent weight checks for the next couple of weeks to make sure he is still gaining well with just breastfeeding.. and if not then talk about supplementing. I would pump so that if you need to supplement it can be done with breastmilk.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:46 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• You are never going to find a doctor who agrees with you 100% about anything, so if his advice about supplementing is your only concern, smile and nod. If it turns out that you have other concerns, and the doctor just doesn't seem to jive with your overall parenting style, then I'd consider a switch.
    3maniacsmom

Answer by 3maniacsmom at 11:39 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Babies all gain weight differently, are you or your husband small?? If so, maybe your baby will be small too. My doctor told me to supplement too, but my baby is chubby, developmentally fine and ahead, and I know she is healthy. Most likely your baby doesnt need it. Our bodies were made to give our babies JUST what they needed, and their bodies were made to take in nothing but breastmilk for a year. Trust your body, and trust your instinct. Supplementing with formula will only make your supply lower, and lead to you to quitting BFing. If you feel it would be best to see a new doctor, then do so, it's very important to have a good, trusting relationship with your doctor, but also keep in mind, what your doctor says is NOT law, and as a mother, the decision of what to do with your child is ultimately up to you.

Your doing great :) keep up the good work.
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 11:57 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• i would probaly take him to a new dr,or tell ur doc u dont want to use formula,give it more time,sounds like he is gaining to me,does he have lots of wet dipars a day? if he does he is fine
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 12:04 PM on Nov. 21, 2008