Questions for working Mama's! I need advice

Ok, my work history is this. I waited tables for 4 years. Then I obtained my GED and got state tested as a nursing assistant and have done that for 5 years. I'm ready to try something different after I have this baby...maybe office work? But I don't have any training in office work but I"m very organzed and have great attention to detail and good people skills. Being a nursing assistant is just too physically and mentally demanding for me.

SOOooo, my question is, what is that you ladies do for work and what did you have to do to get into it? Do you like it or do you have any suggestions with the skills I have listed above?

worriedmommy600

Asked by worriedmommy600 at 2:20 PM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Money & Work

• I know in WA there are programs that you can get free schooling in desk work. Check into those
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 2:23 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• What about a unit clerk on a hospital unit? Labor and Delivery, OB, nursery are especially nice. Since you have been a nurse assistant, you already have a background in medical terminology and patient care. Even if you worked on other units, you would only be doing computer work. It's a fun job but it is mentally challenging. Without the physical challenge, you may like it though.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 2:23 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• You can become a scheduler. I did that for surgery and its fun challenging and a different aspect of being in medical
    MelissaAnn224

Answer by MelissaAnn224 at 2:27 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Before I became a stay-at-home mom last October, I worked in accounts payable/receivable for a car dealership in the next town. I have never gone to school for it, in fact, I have only completed high school and one semester of college. Also, I had no experience with it in the past. They hired me as a cashier and within 3 months they had promoted me.

If you get your foot in the door at a company you can see yourself working with for a while, you can work your way up :)
    MichaelsMom330

Answer by MichaelsMom330 at 2:27 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I will have to look into that happi-ladi. I welcome a challange...but I don't want to have to work a job that is so physcially demanding all of the time. It's time for me to move up and so I'm taking maternity leave as that time to reflect and look at options.
    worriedmommy600

Comment by worriedmommy600 (original poster) at 2:27 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Yes, I definatly want to put myself in a place where I have the ability to move up in the company. I love all these suggestions ladies!
    worriedmommy600

Comment by worriedmommy600 (original poster) at 2:29 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• You may want to take a couple of classes at a community college, like Microsoft office (at least Word, Excel and PowerPoint) and a basic bookkeeping class.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:31 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I did a semester at college and took medical termonology and also english and got A's in both. While I liked going to college...it took too much from my family and my son suffered from the lack of time I was able to give him (pretty much none) so I have now decided to go in baby steps. Perhaps go get certified in medical assistant and work in a doctors office? I just like to hear other suggestions from other mothers and what they do for work and how they got into that kind of work.
    worriedmommy600

Comment by worriedmommy600 (original poster) at 2:34 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I am a cna and a cma. It is hard landing a job that pays what u need in this economy. Good Luck!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:47 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• What are your passions? Go for what your passionate about:-) My passion is helping moms work from home and helping make an income with being successful. I work from home as a gift baskets consultant and I love it!!:-)
    uniquemom30

Answer by uniquemom30 at 4:59 PM on Feb. 28, 2011