What would it be your first reaction if your 10 year old comes home from school and tells you that he/she wants to become a vegetarian?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:31 PM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• It's a stage your child is going through....go with it and see how long it last. My daughter was one and it lasted for 2 yrs.
    You may ask your 10 yr old to do some research on foods that a vegetarian eats and have him or her find some recipes that he or she will enjoy eating. Support your child and get them involve it will past.
    bmwlover

Answer by bmwlover at 7:46 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Its just food....I think I could handle it. I think it would be gret to see my child experiment with individualism.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 2:42 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• My kids are 8, 6, and 4, and all eat meat, though my 4 year old asks a lot of questions about the animals that were used to make the meat. She likes animals and doesn't like the thought of anything being eaten. I give them meat when we have it because I think vegetarianism is a personal choice and I'm not going to force it on them. However, if at any point they decide not to eat meat, I would be fine with that. I'm a vegetarian myself so we have lots of meatless choices at our house- it wouldn't make a big difference in terms of our meals since typically they are meatless or only have meat on the side so that I can eat the same food as the rest of the family.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 2:35 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• that would be great i would support them 100% on this
    cnoble927

Answer by cnoble927 at 2:35 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I wouldn't really be surprised- I'm sort of expecting it! lol She's a hardcore animal lover, and if that's what she wants, I'll make sure she gets all the nutrition she needs.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 2:39 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• First off, I'd ask them what they think it means. Then, I'll do research with them about the role meat plays in our diet and how to get what we need without meat. It's totally possible and a very healthy way to eat. I'd be all for it!
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 2:55 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I would support him. We would see his doctor, see a nutitionist, and buy more cook books. Actually we already have a ton of veggitarian books. My in laws are all meat free. We often do veggitarian meals as it is. No big thing here. And really he hates meet Noe at four. So it would be a valid option for us. We would also join him and do it as a family.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 3:09 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I actually would be thrilled. I am slowly progressing our family into vegetarianism and the person who opposes the most so far is my 11 year old.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 2:34 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• i would absolutely support it but i would make sure they knew how to get all the correct nutrition. vegetarianism should never be an excuse to eat junk either.
    juliness

Answer by juliness at 2:43 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Yay! Now daddy can make his own food so you and I can eat mommy's vegetarian meals! (I'm a vegetarian.)
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 3:06 PM on Feb. 28, 2011