Just a tip....

Don't teach naivety!! When your child gets to the age that they will contemplate sex don't tell them that they are ok as long as they use birth control. It's ok to teach them to use it and how to use it properly but don't tell them that that is the best way to prevent pregnancy. Teach them abstinence but don't push too much because that can cause rebellion, I know this from personal experience. This is all coming from a girl who got pregnant as a teenager her first time and protected. Thanks :)

iluvmm09

Asked by iluvmm09 at 2:34 PM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• thanks for the unsolicited advice
    Anonymous

• I was intending to be rude if that is what you mean by "unsolicited advice." I just think it's in everyone's best interest if more kids are taught reality rather than naivety.
    iluvmm09

Comment by iluvmm09 (original poster) at 2:37 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• no worries here i fully remember my teenage years and all the hormones and everything that lead up to my first time. i have no dilutions about teens and sex. i will make sure my kids know all of it and the reality of it all.
    Anonymous

• Until you have teenagers of your own, you don't know jack. You don't know how your conversation will go, you don't know what you will be saying. You don't know what they will be telling you, you don't know how they will take the conversations. YOU DO NOT KNOW!! Being a teenage mother gives you NO EXPERIENCE on being the mother of teenagers!
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:17 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I AM the mother of a teenager and the OP said it perfectly!! There is no need to bash her for being honest. She wasn't rude and she does know because she IS a teenager. Instead of lecturing her maybe you should take her advice for when and if you talk to your teens about it.

OP: THANK YOU for the advice, I will think of that everytime I talk to my 14 yr old about sex and related topics.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:09 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Thank you tyfry7496 :)
    iluvmm09

Comment by iluvmm09 (original poster) at 11:41 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• This is exactly how I talk to my teens about sex. There is no way to prevent pregnancy 100% other than abstinence. I don't believe in abstinence only education, mainly from my own experience. My mom just said don't do it, yea didn't work so well.
    I definitely use my past experience as a guide for better parenting. I try to stay in touch with what I remember and what I felt as a teen, to keep the cycle from repeating itself.
    I know what my parents did wrong and I strive to do better, so far its working out for me and my kids.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 12:59 PM on Mar. 1, 2011