How can I get my almost five month old boys to sleep through the night?

My boys are almost 5 months old and wake up 3-5 times a night to feed/snack. I'm dying for sleep..please help with tips/tricks you've tried with multiples!!!!! thank you!

liapoo1

Asked by liapoo1 at 2:47 PM on Feb. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• Are you breastfeeding?
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 2:48 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Some babies aren't ready for another month or two. Some don't sleep through the night even later than that. I have no advice for multiples, but it depends. Are they truly eating or are they just suckling? If they're sucking, try a pacifier. If they are eating, they probably aren't ready.

GL
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 2:50 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• my son didn't sleep through the night until 8 months old and that was forced with CIO ( I know, I am the spawn of evil for that ) he slept from 8 months to 2 years old and then stopped again.. he turned 3 in nov and still wakes 2-3 times a night now..I wish I had better answers or advice but 5 months is still pretty young.. but to have 2, I am sorry, I know your're tired.. hugs!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:55 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I don't know. My 16 month old still wakes up at night.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 3:01 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• 5 months old is too young to expect them to sleep through the night. I am sorry. I cannot imagine how tired you must be with twins. I agree with trying a pacifier. Also, make sure that their sleep environment is comfortable. Is it too cold? too quiet? too noisy? The thing that has really helped me with mine (15months old and does not sleep through the night) was to alternate weekend days for sleeping in. He gets Saturday and I get Sunday, or vice versa. Also, if you are home with them, I would try and get a friend or high school student to come over for a few hours a few days a week and play with them while you take a nap.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 3:10 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Having them both sleep completely through the night every night might be a bit much to expect, but they should be able to wake less than 3 to 5 times each night. If you have them sleeping together, it might be that they are waking each other up; if this is the case you might try separating them. I put mine in separate cribs around 3 1/2 months, and I stopped having sleep issues with one twin at that point. What I did that seemed to work pretty well for us, was I ran when I heard the first sign of wakefulness and tried to pat them back to sleep without lifting them from the crib if possible, or I'd put their pacifier in if they were sucking but not really fully awake. If that didn't work I took the one who was awake to another room to rock and hopefully avoid having two awake in the middle of the night. By around 5 months I didn't offer to feed them during the night unless everything else failed. GL!

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:44 PM on Feb. 28, 2011