How do you discipline your toddler?

My three year old is a nightmare to deal with. He yells at the top of his lungs if he doesn't want to do something. He tells us no. He throws fits. What should I do? I never imagined my child would act like this. Time out doesn't work, sitting him down to talk isn't helping. I heard not to put the child in his or her room because he or she will associate the bedroom with punishment. I don't understand what is going on. He apologizes but he only does it because we are getting on to him but then he turns around seconds later and does it again. Please give me some ideas.

jdzamko

Asked by jdzamko at 2:53 PM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• When yo uput him in time out, if he is still yelling, do you keep telling him to be quiet? If so, he is getting what he wants...attention.

My DD would do this until I started ignoring her. I explained to her that she would sit in timeout until she was quiet...once she was quiet, I would start her timer (time is irrelevant since they have no concept but they can understand a beep or a ding) for the allotted time.
    Up to that point, I would ignore her and wouldn't even look her way. If she got up, I would just go put her back without saying a word.

After a few times of this, she has no problems with it. She is quiet as a mouse as soon as she is told to sit.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:56 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• My son talks to himself in time out. That isn't the issue. My problem with him and time out is that it doesn't fix the problem. He does the same thing as he did to get in time out.
    jdzamko

Comment by jdzamko (original poster) at 3:01 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• What bothers him if he isn't allowed to do it?

Time outs work for my DD because she hates to be ignored and not talked too.

Find what that one thing is and use it.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:12 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• When my DD tells me NO I assertively tell her that it isn't an option and she does what I tell her to do or not do. When she is screaming or whining I send her to room until she calms down--she can come out 2-3 minutes after she calms down. This is what we do. We also threaten and follow through and have so often that we just have to threaten most of the time and she listens.
    coala

Answer by coala at 3:34 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I would just ignore it. The moment he starts to act up, walk away. If that doesn't work take items away. Let him control himself but you set up the ground rules. So its not you controlling him, its him controlling what the punishment is, and I have never agreed with time out it work are very few kids in my opinion.
    whoreallycares

Answer by whoreallycares at 5:45 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Make sure to tell him when he is doing something that you want him to do. Positive reinfocement is awesome. My son is autistic and that's what his "tutors" used on him. If you give lots of "good jobs" and "proud of you's", you'll be amazed how much the bad behavor goes away!
    jen_and_pat

Answer by jen_and_pat at 6:18 PM on Feb. 28, 2011