How can I make her stop!!!

My 3yr old daughter puts her hands in her mouth all the time its disgusting. I constantly tell her get your hands out of your mouth but I am starting to think me telling her all the time is making her do it more.. What can I do to make her stop??????Please help!!

lovinmybaby87

Asked by lovinmybaby87 at 2:56 PM on Feb. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• Have you tried that stuff some people put on thumb suckers thumbs??
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:58 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Give her something to do with her hands. distraction is really the only thing. I had to do this when I was trying to break DD of sucking on her fingers. Now she rarely does it when she is sick and sleeping as comfort.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:58 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• or as soon as you see her doing it make her wash her hands, I bet after doing that 15 times a day, it could make her stop?.. maybe..we talked to our son about germs but he's also a clean freak for being only 3 so that did it..
    maxsmom11807

• my dd randomly started this too. I think my next step is duct taping it to her side! :-) Totally kidding...
    mrsfitz05

Answer by mrsfitz05 at 2:58 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Put cinnamon oil on the spots she inserts into her mouth. If that doesn't work, try hot sauce.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 2:58 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I think that the handwashing is a good idea. It's necessary because mouths are germy, but it's not punitive like hot sauce. If she has to wash her hands enough, she will stop doing it. You are probably right though, paying attention to it is making it worse. So every time you see her do it just say " go wash your hands please." and when she asks why, tell her "mouths are germy and we don't want anyone to get sick." And that's it. No arguing, yelling, freaking out, or punishing.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 3:03 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Tell her when she puts her fingers in her mouth it makes them ugly and nasty from germs and pretty girls have to have pretty fingers so mommy can paint them and make them more pretty. :)
    MomofSteel

Answer by MomofSteel at 6:43 PM on Feb. 28, 2011