How do i get my kids to stop suckin there thum/fingers

my son is 3 an still sucks his thum. my daugther is 18mons an she sucks the two middle fingers on both hands. they r gettin sores an chaped skin frm doing this. ive gotten that stuff u put on there nails an let dry an its post to taste nasty when they put it in there month. it hasnt stoped them one bit. what do i do : (

kelleyplus2

Asked by kelleyplus2 at 3:11 PM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Kids' Health

• LEAVE THEM ALONE!!!!!!!! It is a comfort thing and they will stop when they are ready.I have never seen a kid walking across the stage to get his high school diploma sucking his thumb.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:16 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I agree to leave them alone and stop torturing them. There is a reason they need comforting. Find out what that reason is and fix it. Don't try to fix the child. I'd need comforting too if my parents were both abusing me and my brother. I'd worry when they were going to do it again. The more you do it the more afraid they become of you so you make them do it again! Provide them with a loving caring home and I bet it stops.
    Anonymous

• My husband did either nail polish or hot sauce
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 3:14 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• cinnamon oil or jalapeno juice. Paint it on with a paint brush if you have to. lol
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 3:37 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I'm gonna bump this b/c ever since I took my DD's binky she started sucking her finger (just her first finger, doesnt matter which hand she uses both)...mainly when she's tired or just sitting around. She will be 3 in a few weeks. Not sure what to do to get her to quit.
    huntin_mama

Answer by huntin_mama at 3:44 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I had a 4 year old in my preschool class that had a cast type thing that she wore. It was plastic and went up to about the middle of her forearm...it put the finger she sucked in a plastic piece so that she could not put it in her mouth.

Her mom said it was working. She was desperate. Her Dr prescribed it for her. But I am not sure of the actual name of the device....sorry :(
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:47 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• It's a comfort item for them. Some children have a blanket, some a stuffed animal, some a binki, and some their fingers. If you take it away it causes stress, unless you find a replacement object. As adults we have comfort items or food, if I've had a bad day I want a bowl of ice cream. And if you come between me and my ice cream you're going to have hell to pay. Your kids are the same way, their finger sucking is a comfort thing. Try offering a favorite toy or blanket anytime you see their fingers in their mouth. Say something like "ick, fingers out, go give teddy gear a hug and kiss if you're tired, scared, bored..." (insert emotion here). or "fingers out, why don't you use them to play with your favorite car". By the constant gentle prompting/distracting and offering of a new way to release the stress you're likely to succeed.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 3:53 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• idk knw what u mean by abusing thats so off the wal....wtf both my kids have loving parents an home so thats not the case... an who r u to say something like that.!! i could care less if they do it but now its causeing sore so of course i would b concern IM A GOOD MOTHER! an if wasnt i wouldnt b concern. HOW DARE U.......
    kelleyplus2

Comment by kelleyplus2 (original poster) at 2:58 PM on Mar. 1, 2011