Do you have a will?

I've spent most of my life in denial about wills. I mean, death seems like forever & a day away, right? Well, not so much. I'm 51 and don't have one. Neither does my SO. Although we are each other's beneficiary on our insurance policies, etc. My grandfather died a couple of weeks ago. He did have a will, to some degree. It was drawn up to designate my Daddy as the Power-of-attorney & Executor of the estate. However, NOTHING specific was entered into the will as to what belongings he wanted to go to the various family members. Now, I'm seeing some of the UGLIEST sides coming out of some of the family members. I am ashamed of the vultures who call themselves family. SO & I are totally discussing the writing of our wills. I don't want my DD to go through what my Daddy is experiencing right now. Why is it that the death of a loved one brings out the "greedy" side of some people? Have you ever gone through this? Do you have a will written up to protect your family from just such an experience?

specialwingz

Asked by specialwingz at 3:15 PM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Health

• Yes. We both have wills but, more importantly, we also have trusts. We spent the latter part of 2009 doing our estate planning.

Hubby's side of the family is going through some rough patches right now and I can tell just how bad it will get when his parents go (die). Hubby is executor and family members are already interrogating him as to whether or not they are provided for in my ILs wills. It's like they're wishing for death so they can pull themselves out of the holes they've gotten into because of their own stupidity. Luckily, my ILs and hubby are totally onto them and they will not get even one dime more than they are entitled to.
    Anonymous

• No we don't have one. Everything I have will go to DH and vice versa. My parents are aware and my kids are still young. I have no siblings.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 3:49 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Yes we have a will and are thinking about setting up a trust.
    Tikismom

Answer by Tikismom at 9:52 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I don't, but I'm 19.. I have thought about writing once since having my daughter though - but it seems pointless because I don't actually have anything of value or any savings or anything lol
    Melissa15

Answer by Melissa15 at 5:04 PM on Mar. 1, 2011