What's the process for getting married at the courthouse?

I've been trying to look up info about getting married at a courthouse since my bf and I can't currently afford to have a real wedding. Has anyone had a courthouse wedding?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:24 PM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Relationships

• We did...we just went in and waited for the judge to marry us...we went through the vowels....and that was it.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 3:26 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• You can call your county clerk's office and ask what the procedure is. I think it probably varies from state to state and maybe even from county to county. But a phone call should get you the information you need.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:29 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• lmao at "vowels".. ;P

Anyway, I called before my Husband came home for R&R and made an appointment. The day before We were to be Married, We went in and paid for everything so We wouldn't have to the next day..got the paperwork done up - then We got Married on August 22, 2005 - it was perfect. <3

I don't know how it works for your state, but We were in GA. Just call and find out what you need to do. Good luck!
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 3:33 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Yeppers... Call the court house and tell them u want to get married at the J&P justice and peace and they will sch. an appointment for you and help you with the rest.
    MelissaAnn224

Answer by MelissaAnn224 at 3:33 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• i did and it was awesome... just go to the court house and talk to the reseptionist there they will set a date and tell you the coat which isn't much and give you some forms for you and your bf to fill out it's really easy and you can have those who really mean the most to you even if you want your dad to walk you down the iale that to can be done... it was the best for me and i had those i wanted there for my husband and i... and if you two want to you can alway renew your vows later down the line... my husband and i are in 2 more years for our 5th year.. cause we want our kids to be in it and still very small with the same ppl that went to our first one.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 3:34 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I did and in VA we went to courthouse paid the clerk $60 and got our marriage license. She gave us a list of people authorized to do marriages through that courthouse but said that there are others registered at other courthouses that are ok to do in the state as well. One of the ones on the list happened to be the commonwealth's attorney who also happened to still be there. We paid him another $60 and he did the ceremony in a meeting room and poof, it was done. Now, I wish I hadn't done it that way. It doesnt cost that much to have a small family ceremony in your back yard. Make it a pot luck if you'd like. I just think something to take pictures of and remember would've been better. We are divorced now and if I ever get married again, I will insist on a small ceremony.
    huntin_mama

Answer by huntin_mama at 3:42 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I went to city hall and applied for a marriage license. While we were there, I asked the clerk if she had a list of people that were able to marry us. She gave us a a list and we called the first person and asked if they could do a wedding that day. We were married 3 hours later. It's been six years now :) It was less than $50.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 3:47 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Me and my hubby went to the court house. He's active duty military, so we had not wait time(normally it's about 3 days). We just had to fill out the proper paperwork, pay the fee and that was it. It will all depend on the county and state you are located in, as to what exactly you will have to do. I would say, to either look up the specific courthouse or give them a call. Good Luck!
    Armywife369

Answer by Armywife369 at 3:48 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• In WA it took a few days for the license to process. It was ready the 25th, we got married on 12/27/05. They gave us a time and place to show up. There were like 6 other couples waiting for the same time slot.
    chelsea_renee

Answer by chelsea_renee at 4:17 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• In TN we drove to the Courthouse, paid the money for the license and the Judge married us right then. In some states there may be a waiting period. I agree to call the Courthouse or check the County Clerk's website and see if they tell you what's up. Here in FL, the clerk can marry you and I believe it's $35 (in addition to the license fee).

Answer by admckenzie at 4:44 PM on Feb. 28, 2011