Agree with Christie?

(AFP) – Two prominent Republicans came to the defense of First Lady Michelle Obama, breaking ranks with some of their party's top stars who have taken jabs at her campaign against obesity.

Mike Huckabee, a formerly overweight talk show host who is a possible presidential contender, took issue with conservative critics who say the first lady is unduly involving the government in personal and family decision-making.

The critics include Sarah Palin, Minnesota lawmaker and Tea Party champion Michele Bachmann, and radio commentator Rush Limbaugh.

"I didn't say they're all wrong," Huckabee said on Fox News. "I'm just simply saying that what Michelle Obama is proposing is not that the government tells you that you can't eat dessert."

"What Michelle Obama has proposed is that we recognize that we have a serious obesity crisis, which we do," said Huckabee, who calls himself a "recovering foodaholic" who once weighed 135k (300 lbs).

The former Arkansas governor pointed out that 75 percent of military age youths in the United States do not qualify for military service "because they're either overweight or obese and can't meet the minimum army standards."

"That's serious," he said. "This is no longer just a health issue, an economic issue. It is becoming an issue of national security."

New Jersey Governor Chris Christie, who has called himself portly, also distanced himself from conservatives critical of the first lady's efforts to encourage young Americans to stay fit and eat healthy foods.

"I think it's a really good goal to encourage kids to eat better," Christie stressed.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 3:33 PM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• WOW Jew, you have zero class.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 12:28 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I agree with Christie. It's insane to me that people think that encouraging kids to eat a healthy diet is considered a bad thing.
    JakeandEmmasMom

Answer by JakeandEmmasMom at 4:40 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• So this is fat?

im23vaughn

Answer by im23vaughn at 3:56 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Does she have curves? Of course. She is an AA woman.That is part of our heritage. Answer by im23vaughn

Whoa! Did you just say that she has curves because she is black?!? Okay, that's racist, because the implication is that white women who have curves like that aren't curvy -- they're fat. Back the truck up, sister. She is a woman of a certain age who has given birth (twice) and who (according to her own words) deserves a treat now and then. No, she's not a behemoth. Yes, she has curves, but those curves have less to do with her melanin and more to do with her age, motherhood, XX chromosomes, and diet. I've seen rail thin women of all shades, fat women of all shades, and women all in between. Do not play the race card here.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 6:04 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Anything that brings awareness to the obesity issue in this country. I was hoping she'd take on more weighty issues (pun intended), given all the little tubby kids I see every day, I'd say she's got a valid issue she's taking up
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 3:58 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Does she have curves? Of course. She is an AA woman. That is part of our heritage. But to call her fat or overweight is a stretch. Look at her arms. She has been commented on since the presidential election about how many muscles she has in her arms and how her legs are muscular. Fat doesn't skip sections. She works out and looks great. Dislike her all you want, but don't make up stuff.

She has every right to be concerned about this nations health when 66% of Americans are overweight. 75% of young adults are overweight. She isn't trying to mandate what you eat. She is all about raising awareness. She is all about trying to encourage people to lose weight.

im23vaughn

Answer by im23vaughn at 4:08 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• . I am intelligent. I have studied health and nutrition. My children are healthy. They do not need her or the government intervening on their behalf.

She's not attempting to reach YOU- she's trying to get the message to those who might not have the skills, resources or inclination to do what MOST of us do. Sometimes you have to think BEYOND yourself. Or maybe folks like to find problems with EVERYTHING-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 6:17 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Or this?

im23vaughn

• i did not mean to post anon...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:03 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• because shes a total hypocrite momm thats why I pokes

This is far from being a hypocrite. She is talking about obesity. She is an average size woman, she is far from unhealthy or obese. I think you all need to look in the mirror and find out what it is that makes you bitter ignorant people.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 4:04 PM on Feb. 28, 2011