Is it safe to start working out now?

I've never really been one for working out... is it safe to start during pregnancy? I'm about half-way now....
What excercises are safe at the gym?

AshJoe05

Asked by AshJoe05 at 3:55 PM on Nov. 20, 2008 in Pregnancy

• It is safe to start working out, but you have to start out really slowly. For cardio, you can start out walking or using the eliptical(that's nice because there's no impact on your joints). Again, start slowly and if you get any contractions or anything you need to stop. Also, you can do strength training, the only thing to really avoid is stuff where you're on your back and again, you need to start out with really light weights and work your way up slowly. You can ask your doc if there's anything specific that you should avoid or look out for, but working out while you're prego is great and I know with me it helped me get back to normal after the baby is born.
    Paesana82

Answer by Paesana82 at 4:01 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• The previous answer pretty much covered everything, but I also recommend prenatal workout videos if you can't get to the gym. I did prenatal pilates all through my pregancy, as well as a cardio video, and I credit them with my extremely quick recovery from an unplanned c-section. Good luck and congrats!
    bethany169

Answer by bethany169 at 4:15 PM on Nov. 20, 2008