If something were to happen who would get ur children

So i was talking to my husband when i got curious and asked him if something were to happen to us who could we trust to take care of our babies i couldnt find anyone who can love then like me
now the problem being that in from texas were we live now and he's from new york so picking one family ment the other not being able to visit the babies.... but my kids really are attached to my family... i mean what is there to do in a situation like this

Dani3lla

Asked by Dani3lla at 3:47 PM on Feb. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• We didnt pick either of our family so there is no argument. Both our parents are in their 50s-60s and my mom and dad are not kid friendly. They have little patience and live old school (believe in spanking etc). My inlaws are in worse shape but younger and also do not adhere to the same disciplinary standards and upbringing I am raising my kids in. They also eat poorly. I chose one of my cousins who is married with her own children as the person who would get my kids in the event me and my husband die.

Answer by gemgem at 3:51 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I'm at a loss too. It seems that each couple we would consider is already over-extended with responsibilities.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:30 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• We have no clue either - my mom says she wouldn't be able to handle our son and we have no friends / couples even.. my sister.. NO! not fit to raise her own child loL!~ i don't know.. we are stuck wondering also -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:55 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• my in laws i know they would raise my kids with love and a happy home and give then the life my husband and i want for them.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 3:52 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• If something would happen to me, legally her father would take custody. Over my dead body is the only way. But if they were to follow my will, it would be either my mom or my brother.
    Anonymous

• welll see i got a brother and two sisters and a widowed sister in law who are all attached to my children but they also have kids of their own.... and my inlawsare in the military and like choseing locations overseas so im scared my family would lose two granchildre or cousins or nices or nephews its a big loss to anyone in my family who have been helping me raise them
    Dani3lla

Comment by Dani3lla (original poster) at 3:59 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• It depends on when, my mom would get them as long as she is in great health, after that they would go to my little brother and his wife.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 4:15 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Hmmm I don't know, technically my "best friend" is her godmother but we havent talked in about a year (didnt fall out just drifted apart) I would say my parents but when I turned 15 my mother adopted 6 kids and the oldest is only 12 so they have their hands full...I would hate for my MIL to take her.....I guess I have some thinking to do.......
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 5:01 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• My parents or my sister but I am in the process of having a will drawn up bc certain people in our families are not allowed around them.
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 5:18 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• unpopular view point, but from what I understand you can say who you want to have your kids, but if you are gone I don't think that's the deciding factor since children are not possessions and not something you can give to someone else.

So when it comes right down to it, I think the parents can make a request, but they can't really decide. So it's something to keep in mind, but it may not happen the way you asked for it to.
    Anonymous