My oven broke and I need creative no-bake recipes for Thanksgiving!

My oven just died out on me. Fortunately I have a roaster I can cook the turkey in. Other than that I have my stove top and a grill. I'm trying to get creative with Thanksgiving dinner now so if you know of any recipes that would be great for the event that don't require an oven please let me know!

tcross

Asked by tcross at 4:01 PM on Nov. 20, 2008 in Food & Drink

• You can make no bake cheesecake. Or just go to the bakery to pick up desert. Rolls will need to be the no bake kind. Everything else you're good for the stove top.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:17 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Grilled asparagus, bacon wrapped mushrooms on the grill, I blanked out on a bunch of stuff I've seen on Boy Meets Grill.. foodnetwork has a bunch of ideas. Stove top is good for the obvious like mashed potatoes. Good luck!
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 4:19 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Eclair cake....layer graham crackers on the bottom of a long baking dish....the filling is a mixture of vanilla pudding and cool whip...layer the two over and over till you get to the top...spread some soft (slightly melted) chocolate icing on the top and keep in the refridgerator until ready to serve. It is absolutely delicious.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 4:20 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• You can do a lot of sides on the stove...mashed potatoes definitely, and I'm sure the green bean casserole wouldn't be horrible off the stove either.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 7:05 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• All of the veggies can be done on the grill, for sure. And if you have a gas grill that has a thermometer, you can bake in that, or even roast the turkey in that if you wanted. As for dinner rolls, those can be done in the grill too.

Desserts are easy enough..make a crumb/nut crust, and use it for a pumpkin mousse pie or cream pie (whatever flavor you prefer: chocolate, banana, coconut, etc).
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 7:21 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Do you have a microwave? I just did green bean casserole in the microwave last night. The others have given you some great suggestions.
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 12:46 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Grilled pineapple! Drizzle with Nutella, and voila! Dessert. :)
    goofygoober168

Answer by goofygoober168 at 9:29 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• In a large pot you can steam a cake. Use a tube pan or a bundt pan so you don't have to do it twice for layers. considering th holiday, make a pumpkin batter or a boxed spice cakemix. spray a no stick spray in your pan and fill your pan 2/3 full. Put several cups of water in the pot, wad up 4 baseball sized wads of aluminum foil, squeeze them tight then whack each one on the counter to flatten one side, place them in the pot equal space apart and flat side down. Place the cake pan on the foil balls and press down to make sure they dont wobble. place a foil tent over the cake to keep the water out. Bring the water to a boil and place a lid on the pot and continue to boil check with a toothpick after 40 min, and every 15 min after that til its done. Carefully remove the pan from the pot and cool properly. Take eggnog and add powdered sugar til thickened and drizzle over cake. Sprinkle lightly with nutmeg or cinnamon.
    GMOTM

Answer by GMOTM at 5:59 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

GMOTM

Answer by GMOTM at 6:00 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• OOPS! sorry, i forgot to add that you may have to add water to your pot, don't let it go dry. there is not a specific amount of water, you just want to creat steam for the even heat dispersion.
    GMOTM

Answer by GMOTM at 6:02 AM on Nov. 22, 2008