Is it wrong?

My husband is a disabled Vteran, hes had a really hard time adapting and finding work. Hes depressed for sure since seperating from service.

We were on TANF and recently found out that he could be enrolled into a program for disabled homeless veterans that will allow him to get work experience in an understanding atmosphere(VA).

Well federal law states that the income he makes from this program can not be used as income. This means we would still be getting full TANF plus full time work pay through the program.

Our states law and DHHS manual says the same thing. Is it wrong for us to still take the TANF?

I kinda want to being that we are homeless and need to find a place and also that he has been to ashamed and waited so long to admit his illness that our credit is shot!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:55 PM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Money & Work

• If it's the law, how is it wrong? Sounds like he is trying to get off assistance so go ahead and use it while it's available to you.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 3:58 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• If you can afford to live without it, then yes, it is wrong. There are many needy people that can use it if you can do without.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 3:58 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I would take it for sure
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 3:59 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Take both, honey. Your husband deserves to be well treated for his service. Thank him and give him a big hug from me :) I hope you find a place to live soon. Good luck, and don't you DARE feel guilty about being taken care of. I'd rather my tax dollars go to help out wonderful people like you and your HERO husband than than to help the people on welfare that are actually milking the system and hiding flat screen tv's from the government. Lots of love, honey!!
    alphamom26

Answer by alphamom26 at 4:00 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I don't think it's wrong. You aren't breaking any laws, and you are homeless, for crying out loud! You need all the help you can get! Your DH served our country- you guys did your part, so if you need help, who is to complain? Not me! Thanks to your DH for his service, and to you, for standing behind him all the way!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 4:00 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I say, if you are entitiled to it get it and use it. There is so many others that abuse the system and get what ever the Hell they want. You should get everything you and your husband deserve.
    hodgkinrus6

Answer by hodgkinrus6 at 4:06 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• It's not wrong at all, take the help offered while you need it. There is no dishonor in that, and in fact acknowledging that you need help is honorable....good luck to your family!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 4:12 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• It is not wrong at all! It is the least we can do for your family's service to our country

Answer by rkoloms at 4:43 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• It sounds like it's more of a training stipend that the program would give him, not income. People who work full-time can still be eligible for TANF---it depends upon how much that you make. Do what you can to put your family ahead. Support is there to give people a leg up so that they don't need it anymore. That's exactly how you're using it.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 6:59 PM on Feb. 28, 2011