Coming home outfit???

What exactly is a coming home outfit? Does it have to be fancy? Or what's the deal? Help out a first time mom-to-be :)

****UPDATE****

Thanks for all your comments guys. I keep hearing other girls at work who are expecting talking about getting their coming home outfits and I totally thought I was missing out on something there. I thought there was like a huge "tradition" that parents followed when they brought the little monkey roo home for the first time.....with that being said -- i think we are gonna just go with a little giraffe sleeper outfit!!

BlandBaby

Asked by BlandBaby at 3:58 PM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter wore a onesie home from the hospital.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 4:00 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I just picked what I thought was the cutest seasonal appropriate outfit and put it on. It can be adorable or comfortable. Its not actually that big of a deal unless you want to make it a big deal.
    dragonqueen

Answer by dragonqueen at 4:00 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Traditionally they are fancy. That was when the rest of the family was seeing the baby for the first time,taking pics,etc.
    Most mommies are going home to rest,and the outfit doesn't matter. We just put our son in a blue nightsack with matching hat

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:01 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• it's just whatever outfit, sleeper, onsie you buy for the purpose of your baby wearing on the day you come home. For my won it was a blue sleeper with a J on it for his name: Jackson

For my daughter it was a pink sleeper with snowflakes on it
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 4:01 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• My daughter also wore a onesie but it looked more like a dress cus it had ruffles near her hip area lol .
    alexia_09

Answer by alexia_09 at 4:01 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I didn't put any of ours in anything special to come home in. I made sure they were comfy for their first car ride.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 4:02 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• LOL...my friends all gave me clothes for 0 to 6 months. My daughter was too big for all of them. She wore her diaper and a blanket home.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 4:04 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• We just looked for something cute for the baby to wear. It wasn't anything fancy, just something we thought was adorable. We didn't know what we were having so we bought one pink, one blue and saved the one we didn't use for their "this is what you would have worn" outfit in their memory boxes. Our last son wore a brown shirt with a sherriff's badge that read "New Sherriff in Town". It was cute!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 4:07 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• It's just the outfit they come home in. Most people make it extra cute because you want to save it. I put my kid's on stuffed animals after they outgrew them. My kids just wore cute feety pajamas home.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:17 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• We just picked a cute sleeper for my ds to wear, comfy and cute
    ErinT

Answer by ErinT at 4:27 PM on Feb. 28, 2011