Should a seven yr old have a phone?

My SD is 7. Her father wants to get her a phone. Just so she can send pics, and text and call whenever she wants to. He is going nuts trying to find a perfect phone foe her. I mean she's 7! She doesnt need anything spectacular. I mean, I still dont think a seven yr old should carry around a cell, although all incoming, and outgoing calls will be monitored.

She already got an i pad for Christmas, and now a phone. He already got her a 60 dollr phone, he sent her a pic of it, and she doesnt like, so now what?? Off to the store for a new one. Dh only got me a phone for .99 cents from walmart!! Ba-hum-bug!! lol I told dh he is just spoiling her rotten already.. am I right? I dunno, I agree with dh, but I just dont get it these days... Kids with cell phones, computers, i could keep going... I never had any of those things, I hate the way the world is starting to depend on technology so much. What happened to the good o'l days?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:06 PM on Feb. 28, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I don't think a 7 yr old needs a phone. If he is that dead set on it have you looked into those Disney phones specifically for younger kids? They have privacy settings and everything. They are real not toys.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 4:07 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• For emergencies only.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 4:08 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I agree with you on the good 'ole days. I see no reason for a 7 year old....or any child... to have a phone, if a teen wants one, well then they better have a job to pay the bill. We all survived our childhoods without phones, ipads, wii's and all this technology.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 4:09 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• IMO, there is no need for a 7 year old to have a phone.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 4:10 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• no way, not even for emergencies. 7 year olds should not be alone anywheres where an emergency may arise with out the proper supervision anyways. the sending picture thing your husband eses for an excuse is crap.
    hodgkinrus6

Answer by hodgkinrus6 at 4:11 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• My 6 yr old is pretty spoiled but most is done by her grandparents. She got her own laptop for Christmas. Basically anything she asks for she can have. We havent even gotten to where I would give her a phone but I do know her brother is almost 11 and we will likely be getting him one.

Answer by gemgem at 4:11 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I dont agree on a 7 yr old having a phone either. But my 10 yr old got one for Christmas because we went on a Family plan and it was the cheapest for 4 phones. So I guess it would just be depending on the circumstances. Good Luck!
    YouHaveNoClue

Answer by YouHaveNoClue at 4:11 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I do not think a 7 yr old needs a phone. that is way too young.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 4:16 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Go to the toy aisle in walmart - there are several age appropriate ones for a 7 yr old.....but a real one? Nope......just saying.......
    Peggs11

Answer by Peggs11 at 4:33 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• my six and a half year old doesn't have a phone and won't for a long time.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:36 PM on Feb. 28, 2011