How do you deal with an overly angry and violent 9-yr-old? Please Help!! My oldest is out of control due to his anger.

my oldest son is ADHD and his brother is ADD. He has been very defiant and angry lately since the beginning of the month. Please help with any advice.

redsoxgrl2004

Asked by redsoxgrl2004 at 4:11 PM on Nov. 20, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• You calm down and take it down a notch and tell him you wont be able to talk to him until hes calmed down. Second get him into counseling or some sort. My 16 yr old was much as you describe and it didnt matter what we did he had anger issues. He was put in an anger management group sessions at the hosp specialized for children with this issue. My son also underwent individual counseling. They teach them coping mechanisms.
    Anonymous

• My boyfriend has ADHD and sometimes I want to give him some horse tranquilizer! Haha. IDK what I'll do if my son inherits this from his father. Its really annoying. I'm sorry you are experiencing it.
    madrigalreject

Answer by madrigalreject at 5:40 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Our son also has ADHD and ODD. It can be very trying, stressful and frustrating I know. We're going through it right now with him. He's refusing to do any work in school and at home and when he gets angry, he gets angry. I wouldn't say he's violent, but more verbal with his anger. But none the less, it's still hard. If you'd like to chat, pm me anytime. I'll give you any advice or suggestions that I think may help. Hang in there, we will get them there!!!

LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 5:57 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• My son is adhd. This is what I did when he was out of control. I made him sit on the floor in front of me indian style. hands palms down on his lap. head held straight ahead with his eyes closed. I would make him stay there until he calms down. Most the time he was so wound up he would take a nap and when he woke up he was fine. It's worth a try. I would also suggest anger management classes.
    Xee

Answer by Xee at 9:06 PM on Nov. 21, 2008