Depression - ever had it?

If so, do you know why?

If you've overcome it, what helped?

Please share!

mauve

Asked by mauve at 4:09 PM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Health

• I had post-partum after my son. It was not fun. I would cry, scream, etc.... I got on my "happy pills" and started to exercise. It helped a lot! I tried to do everything myself and wouldn't ask for help. My husband helped as much as he could but when he was working, I really didn't feel comfortable asking him to do too much.
    alyssamal

Answer by alyssamal at 4:13 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I'm currently on meds for depression. I've been depressed ever since my grandpa died when I was in high school, and there were a lot of other things going on in my life at that time as well. I didn't know anything about depression back then, and my doc didn't see any of the warning signs that I now know were there. Having a supportive DH has been the single most helpful thing in my life, and the meds are helping to bring me out of it, slowly but surely. Having someone to talk to-a counselor, a friend, your mom- could be helpful for you, as well as doing things every day that you enjoy, like taking up a hobby. I have taken up quilting, and it's given me something to work towards, so that I don't feel like I don't have a goal.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 4:14 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Yes, I have had it forever, as long as I can remember
    its very genetic in my family due to chemical imbalances
    Medication is all that works but its a constant stream of meds I will forever had to deal with
    I am going to try a more natural approach once my son gets a bit older.. he's only 3 so I want to be happy if it takes some time, for his sake..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:14 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I just use time as a healer. That is not for everyone though.
    WARNING

Answer by WARNING at 4:16 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Yes,but it didn't last long because i prayed to god. I also asked myself how can i change my situation. I worked hard towards making it better, rather than focusing on how bad it was. I directed my attention to the positive in my situation. When you get down you must come back up.
    hollinshead

Answer by hollinshead at 4:16 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• You make depression sound like a cold or the flu. I've been "at risk" for depression my whole life, as it runs on both sides of my family. I've only really been coping with it for the last year. I've been on and off meds and haven't yet learned how to cope.
    Depression doesn't mean feeling sad sometimes, which is how you make it sound. It's a serious thing that you should talk to your doctor about, if you think you might be dealing with it.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 4:19 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Clean air, sunlight, beautiful natural surroundings, diet high in complex carbs (brown rice, barley, corn, oats, whole wheat), veggies, beans, fruits. Use red pepper, garlic, ginger. Cold-water fish (salmon or sardines) twice a week. No caffine, alcohol, sugar, white flour. B-complex, B-12, Folic acid, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, St. John's Wort, Ginkgo biloba. Meditation, breathing techniques (in slowly to 4 count, out slowly 4 count), paint, listen to soothing music. Most of all, take time for pampering yourself. Take at least an hour ALONE two or three times a week. Give yourself a pedicure, paint your toenails n fingernails. Play with different hairstyles. Learn to relax.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 4:28 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• it depends hun i'm bipolar so i will on meds for life but it does help to talk to others about it and get things off my chest... but there is all kinds of deppresion but getting whatever it is off your chest and seeking help for it will alway be a good start.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 4:31 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• When I am bad depressed, I cry over stupid stuff. All day long. I just get that way in phases, not all the time. I have bad health problems and have lostt my mom, dad, and two sisters. So I guess I have alot to be depreesed about. I don't take any meds, they effect my health problems. I use meditation, it seems to help to an extent.
    Anonymous

• Chinese medicine including but not limited to acupuncture. worked better than just about any pill they made!
    feel free to PM me if you want.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 4:40 PM on Feb. 28, 2011