my 1 year old caught his first cold from his big sis. he is breathing fast and shallow. how do i know if this is normal?

I know he is very congested. I have been steaming and sucking out his nose and using saline drops. I know babies often breath more raplidly than adults and it may just be more noticablee because he is so congested. How do I know if this is normal?

charitymountain

Asked by charitymountain at 4:16 PM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• if u call ur doctor there gonna tell you to run him to the e.r.
    his88angel

Answer by his88angel at 4:17 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Rapid shallow breathing is bad. Take him to the doctor.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 4:18 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• You need to take him as soon as you can. It may be nothing but it's better to be safe then sorry!
    alyssamal

Answer by alyssamal at 4:19 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I would call a doctor as soon as possible. I work in an ER and fast and shallow breathing isn't good.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 4:24 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Take him to the doctor. I never mess around when you cannot breath correctly. I have the flue and I cannot breath right. He might need a breathing treatment.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 4:28 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• "flu"
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 4:29 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Thanks everyone. I'm taking him in right now. Good to have a community resourse
    charitymountain

Comment by charitymountain (original poster) at 4:31 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• You should call your doctor.
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 4:35 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I agree with everyone else. While you don't need to run them to the doctor with every cold they catch, the one thing my son's ped. said to watch out for was rapid or shallow breathing. Let us know if everything is okay once you return from the ER/doc!
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 4:35 PM on Feb. 28, 2011