Um, she did NOT just touch my baby! ...

I was at Kroger today and my whinny DD who is 3 had her thumb in her mouth. Now, I have been working on weaning her off of this habit for some time, she just isn't ready. Anyway, this older lady walks up to her and say ' Now, You're to big and pretty to be sucking your thumb like that.' Then she proceeds to TAKE my DD thumb out of her mouth! I was dumb founded. Not so much that he felt the need to put her two cents in but that she actually proceeded to 'correct' my child not to mention touch her. I didn't say anything, but DD gave her a mouth full. lol ("NO! STOP IT!') I just kept walking but I *know* I had to have given her a look. Anything like this every happen to you? What did you do?

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 4:45 PM on Feb. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• I have 5 kids so yep things like this have happened. I always tell them to mind their own business. I have also used the phrase "Who pulled your cord and asked your advice?", and when they have touched my kids even in a manner you described I once asked someone if they would like it if I groped their butts, if not stop touching my child.

Answer by gemgem at 4:47 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Wow, I would have been upset too. When my dd was 3 weeks old I took her to lunch with dh and I was walking in the patking lot holding her and a woman reached out and grabbed my dd's foot she wanted to see her. I was so pissed, all I could get out was Don't touch her. Inside my dh got an earful of what I really should have done.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 4:51 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I would have punched her. It is illegal for some one else to touch your child with out your permission. BAM!
    WARNING

Answer by WARNING at 4:52 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Well if there old you know and I know they mean well. However, to touch your child and pull the thumb out of the child's mouth no. It is very hard what do you do. When we go out my daughter loves the grandma's and the grandma's love her. We are working on strangers now so I tell her if mommy does not talk with them, then mommy does not know them. It is so hard. Today it is not a safe world.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 4:53 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• WOW! That is crazy!!!!! I don't even know what I would have done I would have been so shocked that she would actually PHYSICALLY correct my child in front of me....She must not have kids...only people who don't have kids of their own do dumb sh*t like that!
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 4:54 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I have had it happen all the time..if it doesn't bother my kids, I've stopped letting it bother me. We have had little old ladies give each child a dollar, buy them candy, give quarters for rides...one (she reminded me of a teacher) hugged my daughter because she was so cute.... I have had people tell my son to stop pouting because his face was going to freeze like that, tell my oldest boy that if he didn't settle down that his hyper button would go into warp drive and he wouldn't be able to stop moving even when he wanted to.... and I've had one take a binky out of one of their mouths and tell me how bad it was for their mouth.....that one I was a bit irritated but my son was 6 months old...and I politely told her thank you, that I have heard that...but I choose to let him have it as long as it will comfort him...plucked it from her and popped it in his mouth and away I went....
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 4:54 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• wow. I would have been shocked too...I always LIKE to think I would say something shocking and fight back, but sometimes we are just TOO off guard.
    boomamma

Answer by boomamma at 4:57 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Why didn't you say something if it upset you so much?
    Anonymous

• Now really punch an old lady??? Thats teaching your kid, huh?? I'm sure she didn't mean any harm. One of those times where you give a dirty look, bite your tounge and walk away. No need to be trashy and go around punching little old ladies.
    Anonymous

• No need to be trashy and go around punching little old ladies.

why go anon? that actually made me laugh. The mental image was priceless. :0)
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 5:02 PM on Feb. 28, 2011