Aspen Dental

So I just got home from my initial visit and all I can say is HOLY WOW. She laid the "estimated" bill down in front of me and I about passed out....$5,000.00 (just about). I looked at her like she was the spawn of hades. I believe...Seriously, popped out of my mouth...with the Jesus H Christ murmured under there somewhere... So I tell her...nope there is no way...we are a family of 6, I can find another dentist to pull two teeth for that....then her whole demeanor changed....so she brought it down to 1375.00... Again I still say ARE YOU SERIOUS.... however that is more manageable than 5,000.00. She says that I have some type of gum disease...although all the other dentists I've been too have never said a word about it...so I wonder...would you get a second opinion. We are talking 1375.00 out of my pocket for them pulling teeth and giving me a partial denture (I'm not trying to have root canals and crowns ....just pull them). I have diabetes and was told by my physician that yes at some point I will have to get dentures...these people say no... I am so confused...thanks for any advice...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:45 PM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Health

• ITS CRAZY!!!
    I need a root canal and can't afford that crap either. The best part is not dentists do payment plans. WTF?
    MelissaAnn224

Answer by MelissaAnn224 at 4:49 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Aspen Dental actually does...but the interest is ridiculous... I could have gotten a root canal and a crown, but it would have cost more than them just pulling it.... The prices of health care (no matter what procedure it is) is ridiculous. I was researching that new lap band for obesity the other day and it says the band itself costs about 300.00 the surgery is almost 25,000.00 in our area....talk about inflation lol.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:58 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Please go to a different dentist. I went there to get an xray because my jaw was bothering me and thought it was my wisdom teeth. i shouldnt have mentioned that to them because they said all 4 had to come out. estimated at 1200 dollars, WITHOUT sedation. with sedation was another 300 dollars. found another dentist got an opinion, NONE of my wisdom teeth were coming through or needed to be removed. It was a root canal needed on my molar. Goes to show you how they'll find a way to get some money out of you.
    dreamcatcher13

Answer by dreamcatcher13 at 7:51 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Thanks, I think I will go see another dentist, at least about the Gum treatment thing...because I've been researching and everything I find states brush twice a day floss once, and rinse with Listerine...I wonder how much it will be if I cancel the gum treatment. Thanks ladies.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:53 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• $1375 is not bad for 2 pulled teeth AND dentures. And a root canal cost over $3000 for 1. It cost $400 just to have 2 teeth pulled for my son. Not sure what the oral surgery bill was for the 4 adult teeth he had to have pulled, Medicaid thankfully paid for that. But seeing I had to jump though numerous hoops, I am sure it was a thousand or so.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:32 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I have decided to call today and cancel the "gum treatment" they want to do. I can do what needs to be done here, and if it doesn't help then have the procedure done by a different dentist. She wouldn't give me a detailed bill, which has me curious now, I want one, and I want to know how much and what they are billing to my insurance. Tyfry, that was out of pocket expense....the procedures for the one with out of pocket being $1375.00 actually costs $4,039.00. Where my out of pocket was going to be close to 5000.00 the procedures were close to 8000.00.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:14 AM on Mar. 1, 2011