I want to be a sahm again but I'm nervous

perhaps I'm just going through a moment of "waaaah i dont wanna go to work" like any other wroking person lol. But I was a sahm for almost 3 years, we were struggling financially so i decided to find a pt job. I found a good one, pay is above min. wage and I only work 5 days a week, 5 hour night shifts from 7pm till midnight. It's a heavy labor job at a distribution center. Since having this job we have been able to pay bills no problem and I am finally paying off some debt. I also get the chance to get out of the house and mingle with other adults. SO told me not to get a job just for the money and lately that's what it feels like. I would feel so guilty though, going back to square one depending on SO to be the breadwinner. He is thinking of quitting his job and if he gets the one he wants he'd make less money. Uuugh. I just hate this damn economy. I also got a job because I was failing as a homemaker i started off as. I started to get lazy, not cleaning the house

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 4:49 PM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Money & Work

• i guess the only answer is u have to do what works for u ... if its something u really want to do and can afford it i say go for it but if it means financial hardship for u and ur family maybe its not the best option... good luck
    zperez0809

Answer by zperez0809 at 4:51 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• oh and I did try the wah thing. I crocheted and opened an etsy account but the world of crafts is so competitive I failed at that horribly
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 4:51 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• why not just look for a job you enjoy?
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 4:52 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• What are your passions? Go for what your passionate about:-)
    uniquemom30

Answer by uniquemom30 at 4:54 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• domonique not quite the option in this small town. Plus the job i have now avoids putting ds in childcare which costs and arm and a leg. uniquemom, my passion is radio. There is only one radio building in this town and they arent the best company to work for. I did apply there once and out of 80 applicants I was one of 15 to be interviewed. I'm happy I didnt get the job though because it would have entailed a lot of requirements I have no interest in (such as local sports and music I don't like lol)
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 4:56 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• What about starting a state licensed day care in your home? You just go through the process and get them to pass you. You can go through social services and offer day care to low income parents and the state pays you directly. You can choose as many kids as you want or dont.

Answer by gemgem at 5:19 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Do you have a hobby you can turn into a bussiness?
    Anonymous

• Taking time off work to be with kids (or for other personal reasons) is a huge decision, as you have already noted, because of the uncertainty associated with 'jumping back in.' There are so many relevant factors (your profession, your location, and the length of time you expect to be out, e.g.) that it's hard to give a blanket assurance that your re-entry will be smooth or easy. If you're committed to the personal benefits associated with jumping off the treadmill for a period of time, that's a huge piece of the equation. "The Feminine Mistake" and other books have noted the financial risks associated with leaving the paid workforce for a long period.

It matters a lot how you spend your time while you're away. If you keep a hand in the action via a volunteer role, a bit of consulting, or a part-time job, you're in a better spot re-entry-wise than if you take your professional hat off entirely. Best of luck with your decision

Answer by rkoloms at 6:28 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• It is hard to work when you really want to be home with your kids. I had to go back to work 2 years ago. It was really hard. I hated being away from home. I washed dishes at a local restaurant. Not the most glamorous job, but I did it to help pay the bills. I ended up working 9 months. The restaurant closed and before I could find another job, my husband's miles picked up, which meant the pay was alot better. Thankfully, it all worked out for us that I did not have to go back to work. Sometimes we have to do what is best for the family, not what we want. Good luck and pray everything works out for you.
    mlanderson

Answer by mlanderson at 1:03 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Let me tell you what works for me. I provide groups with fundraisers where they make 50% of what they sell. I provide them with colorful brochures. They do all the work. I punch in the order & the product goes striaght to the group. No delivery for me. It is that easy. My groups come back year after year. The company used to be known as Home Interiors. After 50 years in business, they mergered with Home & Garden Party to form Celebrating Home. There are always contests where you can win all kinds of prizes, trips and even cars. Right now we are in the middle of a promotion where I can win a trip to New York. In March, you can get a fundraising kit that will get you started for $99.00 or if you want to do both the fundraising & the parties, you can get a kit with product valued over $350.00 for $99.00. Feel free to ask me any questions you have or go to my site www.homeinteriors.com/ttgiffin I'll be glad to help.
    ttgiffin

Answer by ttgiffin at 4:35 PM on Mar. 8, 2011