CAR SEATS VS. BOOSTER SEAT...

I have a 3 year old & she is 31 lbs, I just changed her from a regular car seat to a booster seat, like the one's where it's just the booster seat & u have to strap a seatbelt over them.
On the seat when I bought it, It said 30 lbs & up & I also asked my daughter's doctor & he said as long as the seat belt is pulled tight & she isn't flopping around or she can't undo the seat belt herself. & honestly she like's this alot better, & she'd never take off her seat beat, She know's what mommy will do, She know's better. lol.

But for you mom of 3 year olds, would you make the change? & why?

ZoeyMariah.

Asked by ZoeyMariah. at 4:55 PM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• She is WAY WAY to young and too small for a booster... not safe at all. Most likely her belt doesn't fit correct either... the belt needs to fit flat across her lap not ride up on her tummy... and the belt has to cross midline at her chest not too far out on the shoulder or cut in at the neck... at 3 years old I doubt it has a correct fit. In addition at only 31 lbs she is at risk of submarining which means in a crash she will slip UNDER her seat belt. The 40 lb limit is very important to prevent that. She also is not likely mature enough to sit correctly 100% of the time... no slumping, leaning over, goofing off... she needs to be able to sit up straight if she falls asleep.

She needs to be in a harness... not only for her safety but it's also likely against the law.

Check out this video... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2LFo8vVi04

AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:02 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I think 3 is WAY too young.
    Anonymous

• im not going to switch until my dd is at least 5! and she will RF to 3 years! i think 3 is to young!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 6:10 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• No i have a DD that is almost 5 (weighs 42 lbs) and i would not put her in a booster until she was too big for a car seat. I bought a 5 point harness car seat that goes up to 100lbs and i love it and its so much safer. Also in Tn where i live the law states you have to be 4 yrs old or be 40 lbs before moving to a booster. I will move her to a booster when she turns 5 yrs old later this year. I think 3 is too young.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 4:59 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I switched my daughter cuz she wanted a booster and wouldnt get into her carseat anymore. after speaking with my dr they said she was fine to switch. she was 4 at the time. she is now 5 and is 41lbs.
    proudmom611

Answer by proudmom611 at 5:03 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Thanks Ladies, thats what I wanted to know.
    ZoeyMariah.

Comment by ZoeyMariah. (original poster) at 5:22 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• My daughter is 4 1/2 and she is still harnessed. I probably won't switch her for a while - until she outgrows the seat she is in now. It's just safer. I also think the laws here in AZ are 4 years and 40lbs.
    lovebugs_mom

Answer by lovebugs_mom at 5:36 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I don't know about where you live, but that's illegal in ohio. Our car seat law states the child must be in a car seat until 4 years and 40lbs. And then a booster seat until 4'11" OR 80lbs. My son is still in his 5 point harness at 5 years and 42lbs and probably will be for at least another year. And then his high back booster until it's no longer needed. I think 3 is way too young for a booster, but since it's also illegal for me in my state it's not even an issue.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 8:12 PM on Feb. 28, 2011