True or false?

Quote- “If we go back to the beginning, we shall find that ignorance and fear created the gods; that fancy, enthusiasm or deceit adorned them; that weakness worships them; that credulity preserves them and that custom, respect and tyranny support them in order to make the blindness of men serve their own interests. If the ignorance of nature gave birth to the gods, the knowledge of nature is calculated to destroy them.” ~Baron D’Holbach

True or false? Please explain your answer.

clarity333

Asked by clarity333 at 5:09 PM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Religious Debate

• False. My reasoning is pretty simple. I have faith in my belief that there is a God. I can see how others may agree with this quote, but I don't.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 5:11 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• True.  History speaks for itself.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:45 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Science is not looking to prove you wrong, soyousay. They simply have not proved you right.

Science supports my biblical beliefs.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 1:44 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• completely agree. I have always felt that religion existed to comfort people and their need to explain that which they are most afraid of (what happens when I die) It appeals to our need to belong to something bigger than ourselves. It's exploited as a means of control sadly.

as if morality can not exist without it. Hell morality isn't always present even among believers. My sense of right and wrong and how to live and treat others came completely independent of organized religion or any sort of connection or fear of the divine... imagine that

"The more devout they are the more they see murder as being negotiable" ~ george carlin
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 7:25 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I think there is some truth to it but I think this quote is also over-simplifying it by only highlighting the bad aspects of the creation of the gods. There have been good aspects behind their creation too such as an effort to unite people or create a Utopia (great in theory though fundamentally flawed when applied). Right off the bat though the quote provided is slightly flawed as it doesn not mention the type of ignorance. It was not willful ignorance as is common to see today, rather it was ignorance in it's true form, a simple lack of the knowledge needed to explain things such as we can now.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:52 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• adnilm, now that you've shot the messenger, how do you feel about the message?
    >>>>>>
    I see a man lost. I don't think his message is valid. I think his message is based not on any general knowledge or exceptional insight, but a self serving, self adoring view point
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 8:12 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• true. all of it true. i think others before have eloquently expressed why also. for me personally, i think people feel they need a 'reason' to do right or wrong. i don't feel the need for that 'reason'.

boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 10:20 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Gods? As in the Pagans and others that believe/worship/revere a multitude of Gods? Thats pretty harsh don't you think? I do not think that Gods were born out of a fear of nature or any ignorance at all- I believe they were born out of a reverence not a fear and a need/desire to understand and connect-not out of ignorance. He states "the Gods" which in one fell swoop takes a stab at a multitude of beliefs and paths-does not sound like someone that feels good about their path, but rather more intent on making sure he offends as many as possible-not my kind of guy-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:01 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I have no respect for people who call others beliefs ignorant.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 12:11 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• We have already discussed empirical proof. Your proof is considered hypothetical as much as mine.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 1:55 PM on Mar. 1, 2011