Separation of humanity from religion

When you interact with someone on a personal level, are you able/willing to separate their human self- all that encompasses the individual- from the religious beliefs (or lack there of) that they hold.
Does their religious affiliation hold bearing over your relationship?

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 5:29 PM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• my SIL is atheist and im Christian. we get along just fine. religion is never even brought up into our conversations. people who aren't able to separate the two- are very close minded.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:31 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I look to the person not their religion.
    Anonymous

• Yes, except for people who belong to religious cults .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 5:44 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Yes I am able to seperate the two, and only sometimes does it effect our relationship - and that's only when discussing the subject of religion, or things such as homosexuality, as an example. Thats only a temporary 'issue' though and we soon end the conversation when it occasionally gets heated. I have my own views and beliefs and I accept that everyone else has theirs. I am pagan and my daughters dad is Christian.
    Melissa15

Answer by Melissa15 at 6:24 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I don't give religion a thought unless they bring it up. If they do we often agree on many points and can respect each others differing opinoons on others. So I haven't had religious differences affect any relationship.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:36 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I rarely discuss religion with anyone, so it is not much of a factor unless they start pressing their beliefs.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 6:38 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• if i could not separate humanity from religion, i would have no friends.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 6:40 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Nope. People aren't their religion
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 7:09 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Yes, I can separate the individual from the beliefs. Sometimes I don't even know for sure what their beliefs are unless they talk about it a lot. Unless they HARM themselves or others or pressure me after I've asked them to stop, I will respect them and any differences we have in beliefs. If someone is generally a good person, kind, compassionate, tolerant, and respectful of others that's all that matters to me even if our beliefs are not similar at all. If people are negative or hurtful of others, I would probably want to limit my contact with them, but I still have compassion for them. Most people I know--family and friends--have different beliefs than I do. My husband is similar since he's also a Pantheist, but he practices Taoism more than Buddhism. Most of the other people I know are Christian, atheists, or agnostics. I think I know one other Taoist and a few people who practice some aspects of Buddhism.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 7:11 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I don't define someone by their faith. I see a level of humanity and equality in all people, regardless of what they believe. I do believe all paths are equally valid and finding our own paths is essential for our personal growth and fulfillment, so I see the value in all of the different beliefs and systems out there. Though I see someone for who they are, not what they believe. Faith is just one part of a person, it doesn't completely define someone. Most of the time I don't even really get into it with people about religion IRL, especially since I don't believe the same as a lot of people around here and don't want to have to be stuck defending my unorthodoxies or anything. But, anyway, religion isn't a factor in my relationships, if that makes any sense...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:20 PM on Feb. 28, 2011