We took our friends out to eat. They have an 11 yr old boy and 15 yr old girl.

My husband and I treated our friend to lunch at a sit down restaurant. The 15 yr old girl ordered the most expensive item, AND dessert.The boy was obnoxious, ordered alot of food, he wanted an order of cheesesticks for himself! He threw lemon wedges at his sister across the table, they both interrupted constantly. My nerves were shot by the end of the meal. My kids are 21 & 25 if that would have been them, well just say, they wouldn't do it again. What do I tell my friend? They may want to do this again, and I cannot handle the thought of it! They were RUDE!

justme1964868

Asked by justme1964868 at 5:54 PM on Feb. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• I would have spoke up, im not the kind of person to let that stuff fly.
    proudmom611

Answer by proudmom611 at 5:58 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I wouldn't mention that her kids were rude unless you'd like to discontinue the friendship.

If she wants to do it again then you should suggest eating at a more family friendly resturaunt where an 11 year old can full his belly without breaking the budget and where other patrons won't be miffed by flying lemon wedges.

IMO, making something into a joke is a good way to get it out without being confrontational.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 5:58 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Did your friend ask how her children were at the meal? If she asked, I would offer details. If you aren't asked, I'm not sure I would volunteer the information but there's no way another invitation would ever be offered.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 5:59 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• i wouldn't be taking the kids again, either.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:59 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• That's ridiculous! Kids that age should know better & the parents should have stopped it! At least they could have been "texting" rude instead of obnoxious rude! It would've been quieter anyway! -lol I think if you want to get together w/ your friend again, make it clear that it's a grown up get together- no kids. It's not rude to want to have some grown up time. And you certainly shouldnt be expected to pick up the tab for your friend & his kids. That was a bit presumptuous on his part. Sorry you had to deal w/ that.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:00 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• tell her that next time you want it to be adults only.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 6:01 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Wait...did I misread? Your friend was there? If that's the case, no more invitations and avoid eating out with them again. If the parent can't see how terrible the behaviour was, saying something won't do anything.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 6:01 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I agree with both proudmom and dull scissors . My children would never dare behave badly in public as they know what the consequences would be .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 6:02 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I wouldnt take it very well if someone told me my kids were rude. That would probably be the last meal Id have with said friend. I would just wait for the opportunity to come up. Odds are she knows they were rude and she may mention it herself.

Answer by gemgem at 6:02 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Yeah I would just suggest no kids next time. They are old enough to stay home or go to a friends place. This may have happened through cause no teenager wants to eat dinner with there parents and there parents friends. I bet they were so bored.
    whoreallycares

Answer by whoreallycares at 6:02 PM on Feb. 28, 2011