When is it again that the breast milk starts coming in???

not while "feedings" but while pregnant. this is my second pregnancy and my boobs grew MAYYBBEE quarter of an inch. No leaking which I doubt they should. 32 weeks this thursday. Im just wondering if I should even bother trying to breast feed again. First time, my son didnt latch so it HURT me and left the poor thing hungry so I went to formula after about a week. I would like to try it, since it may help with her medical condition they say she has with her little brain. but I just dont feel confident that it will work this time... AND if she is in the NICU then I doubt they will let me.. never know tho

mommyoftristan

Asked by mommyoftristan at 6:02 PM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I'd give it a try if I were you. My first had latch problems too and it was miserable so I feel for you. But, my second latched right on like it was his job...no problems!

As for the milk...mine didn't come in until almost 3 days after my first one, but mine was in about 10 hours after having my second one. I had him during the afternoon and then early the next morning when I got out of the shower the milk was there!

And, let me say that you have to know what you want to do before you get in there and stick to it. Do not let the nurses bully you into not breastfeeding if that's what you want to do. If they say she needs a bottle and formula then you could offer to pump and add breastmilk to the formula.

Best of luck to you!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 6:08 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• You should at least try. They should have a breast feeding coach at the hospital to help. Also, if you're not producing enough milk, it might help to pump a few extra times when you're not feeding. That might help produce more.
    jen_and_pat

Answer by jen_and_pat at 6:29 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Your milk does not come in until approx. 4 days after baby is born - the labor & delivery releases a hormone that tells your body it's til to start making it, and it does - also baby latching & drinking the colostrum helps the milk start. But unless you're breastfeeding an older child through your pregnancy, you're not going to have milk yet. Not every woman leaks either while pregnant. There's no sign before birth of whether or not you're going to make milk - you have to wait til baby's born, they'll get your colostrum which is all they need and perfect for the first few days til your milk starts coming in. If you want to bf successfully, do NOT use or allow any bottles or pacifiers for the first 6 weeks or so. Using anytihng can interfere big time.
    Anonymous

• I formula fed my first and breastfed my second. DD (second baby) was completely different than my first.
    My milk didn't come in until maybe the fifth or sixth day with her- but I am glad I stuck with it. I am glad I tried it (i wasn't going to because my experience with my firstborn went so badly).
    I remembered having to wash all the bottles and all the money I spent on formula and then tried to imagine keeping up with all of that with a toddler and a new born- that helped with my continuing to breastfeed on some nights when I didn't think I could continue to breastfeed my daughter.
    Hope this helps! Congratulations!!
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 10:42 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• You should always try.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 9:36 AM on Mar. 4, 2011