For the next day and a half...

We are living on chicken flavored ramen noodles, cereal, oatmeal, and peanut butter sandwiches. Uuuugh! Have you ever got to a point when you were low on EBT funds or money and all you lived on was a certain thing for a couple of days? It sucks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:28 PM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Owe yea. Back before I met my DH. You just have to eat what you have. Unless you can go to the food bank in your area.

Answer by louise2 at 6:46 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I have never had EBT, but in college, I spent $10 a week on groceries, and that usually consisted of a loaf of the cheapest bread imaginable (that doubled as hot dog buns...and it was terrible to start with), a 12 pack of ramen, a pack of hot dogs, a bag of beans or rice (alternated weeks), bananas, a dozen eggs, tea bags, and 3 boxes of mac and cheese. I was so damn sick of all of those foods by the time I finally got my first "real job" and could upgrade a little that I would literally skip meals even though I had food available because the thought of eating that crap sucked so bad. Looking back now, I am grateful for that time in my casket of an apartment and skimpy cupboards because it makes me appreciate what I have now. However, if I had children and was going through it, the stress would overwhelm me. Good luck mama! See what resources are available to you.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 7:15 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I don't think EBT has anything to do with it. My kids would be happy if those were their choices. I hope the time flies for you so you can go stock up on good yummy foods and lots of fresh produce to clean the gunk out of your systems!
    Anonymous

• What about a bag of dried beans or lentils?

Answer by rkoloms at 8:30 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• yep, starting out with a new baby first dh and I did. It sucks, but it'll pass.
    flmomma4

Answer by flmomma4 at 10:03 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• EBT has nothing to do with it. I get EBT but make good food choices so I don't have to eat crap at the end of the month. I also eat at my parents when funds are low, so I don't have to eat crap. But, I have been there and have eaten a lot of cereal and buttered noodles or spaghetti.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:23 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Well, I make good food choices also. Who said anything about buying crap? I don't get very much a month and it's really hard to stretch it so I buy cheap food when I get low on benefits. All I meant by my statement was that it sucks to get low on benefits and have to buy cheap food to make it the next few days until you get reloaded again. THAT'S ALL. holy cow.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:08 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• yes and the kids get tired of it too but when you are living on one paycheck every 2 weeks and the one paycheck all goes on bills things get a little slim near the end of the month.  we have had to get creative many a times.

Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 9:02 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Oh yes. I've been there. Once it was nothing but Kale, carrots, oatmeal and olives for a week. I had paid extra on all of my bills the prev paycheck only to be downsized before the next one (completely out of the blue) Took a month to find another job and of course two more weeks before being paid.
    I think I would have killed someone for a burger by that point.
    elizabooks

Answer by elizabooks at 9:08 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I don't get EBT and i eat that stuff all the time.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 6:45 PM on Feb. 28, 2011